NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Crazy,

It won't be long till your fishing on those giant fish with Captain Gary Corsetti! I spoke with him yesterday and he just rigged up some new rod/reel combos to go along with his secret weapon bucktails. You guys should be into them big time; they're already netting some monsters offshore.

You bringing anything new to try on these barn doors?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Fish_Eye, Wrote:
It won't be long till your fishing on those giant fish with Captain Gary Corsetti! I spoke with him yesterday and he just rigged up some new rod/reel combos to go along with his secret weapon bucktails. You guys should be into them big time; they're already netting some monsters offshore.

You bringing anything new to try on these barn doors?

Hi Mike Laptew,

Please send my regards to Gary Corsetti and let him know that I am ready to go! In fact, I am actually very excited to fish with him again because he sure knows where those big barn doors and mother cows are located! ;)

Am I bringing anything new to try on these big critters?… YOU BET! I guess ya gonna find out when I see you!

BTW: I understand that M.S. is going to be shooting around the time I am there…. Send him my regards also. :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
his secret weapon bucktails.

I want to try bucktails this year for Flukes. My question is how big to go as far as oz. How does this style work? I heard of many fish caught last year on bucktails and I am curious to know how to use them. Thanks for the repiles.
Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
bucktails

Hey LA, Use the lightest jig you can and still say on the bottom (0.5- 1.5 in bays and 1.5-3 in ocean). Tip with the usual spearing and squid or experiment with other baits or plastic in a pinch.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
LatinAngler Wrote:
his secret weapon bucktails. I want to try bucktails this year for Flukes. My question is how big to go as far as oz. How does this style work? I heard of many fish caught last year on bucktails and I am curious to know how to use them. Thanks for the repiles.

Hi LatinAngler

And what gave you the impression that my secret weapon was a bucktail? :) To be perfectly honest… You are right! But it's a "modified" bucktail with different material. ;)

Also, RichS hit it right on the money! Try to use the lightest bucktail as possible and the "key" to bucktailing… is to feel it bounce the bottom (up & down)! In the interim, as the current starts to rip… You should keep using heavier bucktails as long as you still feel the bottom!

I also find that the new tech-lines (braid) will give you an edge (thinner diameter - better sensitivity).

Hope this helps… Just wondering… Where (location) are you planning to find that monster flukezilla -and- do you know why?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll tell you when...

"Where (location) are you planning to find that monster flukezilla -and- do you know why?"

"Crazy" Alberto

When I fish with you and Gary on Saturday or Sunday. I'll be doing a shoot out of state and won't return until late Friday. I hope I can team up with you on Saturday or Sunday...love to catch the action on film.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And don't forget...

Another important tip for big fluke on a jig. Keep your line and the jig directly under the boat...this will take some boat handling skill, but you don't want any scope in your line.

And don't be surprised if you catch a few of these...remember Al?

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
32,144 Posts
MONTAUK VS NORTH FORK

Have the oppertunity to do a fluke trip in mid-May.

Options are:
Ocean Fluke out of Montauk or North Fork.

Question: which would you recommend

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks RichS and Al for the tips. I will definately keep them in mind. As far as where I'll be fishing... A friend of mine just got a boat out in Freeport so we will be somewhere on the South Shore. He is still learning his GPS and has not been to productive in locating fish..(Still Early) I also fish out of Sheepshead once in a blue.
I never attempted to fish for te Big Flukezillas from the shore so I really don't know where to go. I live in Brooklyn and I'm sure there are spots like the Marine Park Bridge or Coney Island Pier for Fluke's. So for now I am taking in different styles of fishing that I have heard have been more productive. Once again thanks for the insight.
Mike

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Fish_Eye wrote:
When I fish with you and Gary on Saturday or Sunday. I'll be doing a shoot out of state and won't return until late Friday. I hope I can team up with you on Saturday or Sunday...love to catch the action on film.

Hello Fish_Eye,
I will be fishing with Capt. Gary Corsetti for three straight days and hopefully you will be able to join us when you get back from your shoot. I am really looking forward for another banner season with Gary and looking forward to those monster doormats, cow bass, jumbo seabass and those porgies on steroids. :) Also, please send my regards when you see him!

BTW: How's the Lefty Kreh tape coming along?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
232 Posts
My favorite way to fish for fluke is with a bucktail. All of my big fish have come on them. My bucktail of choice is the white or chartruse Spro bucktail tipped with a spearing once through the eyes. Use a flourocarbon leader and you can't miss. One great thing about the Spros (besides the action) is they use Gamakatsu hooks that stay sharp forever. The new open lips Spros should be great too, I can't wait to try them. As far as size I use between a half an ounce to one ounce in the bays.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Bucks

Hey CA:

I have a **** of a time (even w/Tuff-Line) keeping a light bucktail (3 oz or less)down in the rips off Jessups, the Lawns, or Montauk. The waters deep and the tide runs pretty hard.

Would the buck still be effective if I rig a three way and dropper loop so I can use 4-6 oz. lead to keep it down, similar to a striper rig?

·
Registered
232 Posts
In my opinion and from what I have tried it doesn't work. I am not sure but I think that the other weight kills the action of the bucktail by not letting it fall as gradually. It just thuds to the bottom and doesn't let the hair do what is supposed to do which is wave like the tail of a fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.