NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Unfortunately most of the boats in that area head south at this time of year because of poor fishing and high winds.
Ocotal Resort is not far away and they have a couple of boats that stay there year round.

Kaptain456 wrote:
I'm heading to Costa Rica in two weeks and I am looking for a good charter if anyone can recomend one. I am staying in Flamingo.
Thank You
Capt. Carl

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
VicTours

I stayed at Flamingo...9yrs ago. It was fantastic. Yes, you can take a couple hr ride south and have the bills all day long. I opted to stay local. I haunted the marina at Flamingo and checked catches for the first 3 days and worked the surf with my surf and fly gear. The first night I saw a local pop a 20# rooster in the surf on a chicken bone with a hook. He whipped it out off a handline and wound it up so fast that the bone skip across the top of the water. After chatting with Vic- owner of VicTours every day he said, OK- I am not going to waste your time, book a 1/2 day with me tomorrow and I'll personally take you on my smallest boat and you will be very happy. $225- This was after discussing $1400 trips for Black Marlin, 2-4 hour drives south for 20+ sails a day, etc. We started getting false albies for bait. Tossed bait to a 200#+ tarpon on the way out. I brought the fly and was catching bait including a huge look down that was quickly rigged and set out for a near 60# rooster lost at boat side. Then we hauled 50-60lb grouper and red snapper for 3 hrs. We ate the fish for 2 nights served in different ways at Marie's? which was a local dugout eatery. The tables were cross-sections of huge tress with fish paintings on them. Some of the best meals ever. Marie was from the states and had moved there and set up shop for some of the good life. Great breakfast too. Vic befriended us and took us on adventures to back waters/estuaries on the fly on his days off for snook and mangrove, drove us to friends house for ceviche and beer to watch the sunset on the ocean, offered to take us to dinner and when I asked to pay him for the trips he would tell us " your a good friend in Costa Rica". Best trip of our life and we can't wait to take our kids back to Flamingo to book with Vic. Looked up his web site to see if he's still around and he's expanded from the 3 boats I had to choose from! http://www.vic-tourscr.com/ Puda Vida!

PS-We were there 1st week Feb.

This post edited by ihavegills 10:04 AM 01/04/2008

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.