NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we have touched on this here in the past, but to be honest, I dont think anyone has really answered this question...

Why does an observer cost so much less on the west coast in comparison to the cost of an observer on the east coast? I dont know for sure, but I have heard that it costs 3 times as much (or more) for an observer in the east. Why is that?

I really have no clue, hoping someone here knows more about this issue.

This post edited by twofinbluna 01:56 AM 01/11/2008

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
twofinbluna wrote:
I think we have touched on this here in the past, but to be honest, I dont think anyone has really answered this question...

Why does an observer cost so much less on the west coast in comparison to the cost of an observer on the east coast? I dont know for sure, but I have heard that it costs 3 times as much (or more) for an observer in the east. Why is that?

I really have no clue, hoping someone here knows more about this issue.

Well 2fin let me tell you my recent experience......with these guys.
So I'm online, looking for a job and I turn to craigslist, theres a job offered as a scallop observer. I write them an email, tell them I'm interested. They write back to me right away tell me they are interested in me...I write back with some particulars about ny past...they write back , tell me I've been accepted to the observer training program, right down the road in Woods Hole. I'm thinking this is great, I've finally got a job.

Then they write back and ask me to send them a copy of my college diploma.........huh? They didn't mention that in the ad, or in their
original correspondence. Seems that some college guy with zero marine experience is going to do a much better job?

So....I'd say just for starters, their anal requirement for a degree to take boat rides, here, is probably inflating the cost?

·
Registered
686 Posts
quote:

So....I'd say just for starters, their anal requirement for a degree to take boat rides, here, is probably inflating the cost?

But isn't "THE" Observer Program the same used throughout the nation?

If I had to guess about the price difference, I wouldn't doubt if a big chunk of it is due to the difference in insurance costs.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Since Clinton's "reinvention of the government" the observer programs have largely been contracted out. Same with the dock side biological sampling program run through the Fishery Statistics Office in Gloucester.

I would guess the price differences are based on who bid and won the contract in each region.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Loligo- Amazing that they would be like that to you...what on earth would you need a degree for to be an observer?

While I am sure that 'anal-ness' is part of it, I still dont understand the cost difference at all.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
twofinbluna wrote:
Loligo- Amazing that they would be like that to you...what on earth would you need a degree for to be an observer?

While I am sure that 'anal-ness' is part of it, I still dont understand the cost difference at all.

Hey- I'm not surprised.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.