NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently caught my first stripper and when cleaning and fileting it i lost alot of meat due to the thickness of the spine. I think i should have cut him along the top( as if he were swimmng) then filet it. I have seen them do yellow fin this way.
Also any good recipes would be nice. I have done the lemon, butter, white wine and garlic routine.

Thanks
Paul....Aka Dockpepper

·
Registered
4 Posts
I prefer to cut stripers into 1-1/2" steaks and then either bake in the oven or ontop of the stove in a covered pan using these ingredients:

Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Lemon/Salt/Pepper/Paprika/Parsley & add bread crumbs to the heated oil & balsamic vinegar mixture that is heating in the pan before adding the fish. I like this recipe with bluefish and salmon also! The vinegar begins to carmelize and adds great flavor.... just don't overdo it.

RJC

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Start just past the head (along the top) and cut down to the tail, push the knife in until you reach the spine at the same time stay as close to the bones along the top of the fish as you can.
After you have cut to the spine you can kind of peel the meat back as you cut around the spine, than work your way to the bottom, head to tail and you can continue to peel the meat back as you cut and you will actually see how close to the skeleton you are as you go along.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats on your first stripper!

It is good to make sure your stripper is ALWAYS clean...! I prefer soap and water on her...and then a good hand towel dry...does the trick just fine...

(just joking...I love when people accidently spell STRIPER as STRIPPER...no offense...just couldn't resist...)

Tight Lines and Screamin' Reels, Paul Santiago

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cleaning a stripper is one thing, but cleaning a striper is totally different.
For yrs I have been upset with the waste of good fish when the striper is just filleted (spelling?).
I literally deconstruct the fish and try to use as much of it as possible. I remove the totally cleaned head for use in fish chowder (lots of meat in this big head). Then I remove the pectoral area, the breast or "collar", and grill this terriyaki style. The tail with a few inches of body are coated with olive oil and grilled with salt; quite tasty and crunchy. The main part of the fish is then steaked or cooked whole on the grill, or in the oven with a sauce or just served as is with a sauce (whatever type you like, livornese, mayo, salad dressing etc).
I also usually take some fillet for sushi or tar- tar with scallions, salt and pepper and lemon juice. I also treat large bluefish this way.
Ron, fisherman for more than 50 yrs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.