NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be surfcasting at Montauk for the first time this season and own a pair of orvis waders with studded soles, sort of like cleats on a pair of golf shoes. One of my fishing buddies thinks these will do as well as corkers on the rocks out there, especially because they're integral to the sole (no duct tape required). Any one want to share some experience on this? Opinions?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have never used studded soles. I only use Korkers. However, if they are metal studs they should be fine. Since you will be fishing Montauk for the first time this year you may want to scout out the area first. Fishing the light with studded soles or Korkers are a must. It can also be very dangerous during a heavy heave. Also rocky areas such as Scotts, Caswells,Tea house etc. have many submerged slippery rocks. These can be very dangerous even when you wear Korkers or studded soles. Just remember that this footware can give you a false sense of security. Be Careful!

Tag & Release
Tiderunner

This message was edited by Tiderunner on 3-6-02 @ 6:44 PM

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would stick with corkers for montauk also be careful with those orvis waders if they are breathable type you stand a good chance of tearing them up they are kinda delicate for montauk better off with neoprene or canvass waders

This message was edited by surfratny on 3-3-02 @ 8:49 PM

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Studded soles are better than bare rubber.

And Korkers beat them both (especially at Montauk).

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
110 Posts
you can even slip and crack your head open with corkers thats just the way it is even with the best of the best. but if i had to choose anything it would definitly be korkers. im 16 years old and have been fishing montauk since i was 1 and i have used korkers since i was 8. they are definitly the most reliable especially when fishing areas like kings, browns, sewer pipe, caswells, coconuts and the light in a heave. very reliable at night also because you need to know that you have your footing when you cant really see them rocks.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Korkers

I have not had any need to tape them on since they came out with the ones with straps on them. They have treated me well, and if you pay attention to them they will last a while.

If you have the mindset to spray them down with silicone and change the studs as they wear out, you will get more life out of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.