NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Anthony,

There are several cork sealers on the market. I don't use them because it leaves the grips slippery when wet. Last thing I want is slippery grips!!

With cork you either love it or you don't. The fact that it pits doesn't bother me.

Cork is porous by nature. Companies fill the pores with a mixture of cork dust and glue. Then they sand the grips to get smooth.

I would wash the grips with soap and warm water usind a scrub brush. Be gently scrubbing so you don't create more proplems. Rinse and let dry.

I and others can make the grips look like new but it takes time and costs $$$$.

Another easy solution is to cover the grips with heat shrink tubing.

I have used this method for some of my customers.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i feel wet cork is slippery to begin with so what the heck....the rod in question is a g loomis saltwarter series and after just a few trips the cork looks all crappy already :(

IF you had the choice how would you do it lite coat of flex cote or a eurathane sealer
tight lines...Anthony

This message was edited by bhm25 on 1-28-02 @ 7:49 PM

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Anthony.

I have a bottle of U40 Cork Seal in the shop.

If you are near Sayville give a call and you can borrow it. It is a water base polymer product.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Capt neil...thanks for the offer !! but a little out of my way. I talked to a friend i fish with and he has some of that stuff so i will give it a shot. thanks for you info

tight lines...Anthony

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Folks,

Be careful with grips that get slippery.

I have seen a few go overboard as quick as you can blink. Right out of a persons hands.

Capt Neil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.