NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that as I upgrade my rods more of them have cork grips not foam. Other than washing them after each use with water is there anything that I could put on the cork to keep it from drying out?
Would washing with a mild soap be helpful or would it dry it out even more?

·
Registered
91 Posts
gotta use cork seal on them it helps them last longer ,I put one coat on and that is it .when it get old and dirty ookin I take a very fine sand paper and sand it down a bit then reapply

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I make custom rods and use only cork for grips. I have rods that are 30 years old and dont have any problems whatsoever. I bought the cork sealer but never use it. I have resanded the cork with 400 grit sandpaper but it really didn't need it. What I do is wash the rods with a garden hose and brush the handles with tire brush and kitchen bab-o.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
The cork from 30 years ago is not the same as teh cork today. GRanted, if you don't take care of the cork, leave it out in teh sun, etc - it will get screwed up. Take care of it, adn it will last a long, long time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
filo1 wrote:
Where would I get something like that?

Bait and tackle shop, Cabelas, BPS, other?
I buy it from janns net craft ,it is only 5 bucks and you can do about 20 rods

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.