NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mannn I seen the coolest pack of Seals . Heading east on Sloop on the south side in between the fishing piers and the big bridge there was "9"!! of them. I first seen about 4 then a whole bunch surfaced all @ once. Thier the coolest they didnt shy away matter o fact they started coming towards the boat as if they wanted a handout. Wondered if people have been feeding them , maybe not a good idea. I watched them for a couple then split. Thier heads remind me of dogs, wet dogs.
Go check em out! great seal show!!
Alan

· Registered
43 Posts
Why is it that everyone blames the seals for the decline in the flounder population? Yes, the seals eat a few flounder but not enough to cause such a decline. wouldn't overfishing be the real cause of this, not an animal that has been eating flounder long before we have been fishing for them??

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see them every year, always the same places.
They seem to like Sloop because it's deep and wide. Also a good bet is by thr Jettys @ JI moctly west one, seen them a few timws there also. I think it's Herring & crabs, clams mostly theyre eating in those 2 places, thats my guess anyway. one thing I'll tell ya is these Seals didnt look hungry, Fatso's! These were the biggest ones I ever seen compared to past years.
Alan

· Registered
126 Posts
Seals generally eat 25 to 40 lbs of fish a day. Put that into a week, thats 175lbs to 280lbs of fish weekly. 125 flounders per a week. Multiply this times how many seals you see, then times that again by 6*, thats how many you dont see. They also eat Herring, and other bait fishes to be fair.

So your talking about some serious fisherman fishing in those flounder holes. They empty them out. When it is snowing in March, and cold..and your soaking your line with nary a bite, enjoy the view. Nature at work.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Rooster,

Seals have been eating fish on our shores long before we got here. If I had to choose between me catching the last flounder and a seal, I would give it to the seal. We can always go to the supermarket and get a rib eye steak. They just starve when there isn't any fish around.

Scalawag,

They are better at conservation or natural selection then we can ever be. I was drifting at the time so the prop wasn't a concern. Chewing on my electrical wires was 20 miles out. Didn't want any dead fish I tossed to him/her.

See another pic of this one attached.

Capt. Marc

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was over there today, there was a party Boat
{forgot the boats name pretty sure from Reynolds}
& about 40 people on the beach mostly kids on some sort of outing. It looked like 2 of them were taking a seista on the shore with all those folk standing around them, thier too funny.
alan

This message was edited by Scalawag on 3-9-02 @ 7:25 PM

· Registered
126 Posts
Was in Montauk this weekend, walked out to Shag reef. Counted 8 heads, with a half a dozen slounging on the rocks further down the cove. They were chasing the bait up to the surface, birds were going crazy. The good news is Montauk is alive with bait, if there are seals there is food/ bait, if there is bait there are big fish.

Fishing is fishing, seals are the best at it. Looks like a good start in Montauk this year, the seals are starting early ( never stopped I suppose ). Mabey we should ask them ( seals ) how the fishing is?

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
couple points; I see these seals every year, never have I seen so many & never have I seen them that big & FAT. the seals I saw didnt look like that pup in Capt. Marc's boat in the JPEGS, They looked like Walrus's..
Iam the Walrus, Iam the Eggman, coo coo ka choo.

Please excuse my sillness, couldnt resist.
Alan

This message was edited by Scalawag on 3-10-02 @ 1:51 PM

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Are you going by car? If so, just head to Jones Beach, follow the signs to Field 10. Once you get there you can walk along the beach heading west from the fishing piers. You can also see them from the car as you drive west on bay drive. You just can't stop and get out their as the Park Police won't let you.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.