NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a...112H Penn Special Senator Reel...for trolling and jigging from my kayak anyone recommend a good conventional rod to go with it nothing to pricey please($100 maybe a little more)...thanks for any input.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
kayak saltwater fishing? hmmm Personally, I wouldn't bother testing the challenge but imo,that all depends where,when and what species you intend to fish out of a kayak. I would go soft action rod very inexpensive combo knowing it will likely get a saltwater dunking

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kayak saltwater fishing?

I have been kayak fishing for about 6 years now all saltwater...never flipped once. I will be trolling for stripers. Caught about 40 stripers in 2 months on that kayak plus one 42incher!! lots of biiig bluefish too. I primarily fish for blues and stripers in the back bays with a spinning set-up and lures, want to try some trolling this year. So if anyone has some info on a good conventional rod please let me know thanks again...P.S. I have been shark fishing tuna fishing and just about everything else on boats all my life nothing and i mean nothing compares to kayak fishing!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
denw72 wrote:
thanks for all the help(sarcasm) guess u have to own a (motor)boat to get help on here...
For starters you might try posting this in a more appropriate forum.Maybe....The kayak forum.:)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kayak forum?

kayak forum? I was asking about what conventional rod to get for trolling for stripers what does that have to do with kayaking?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow your a real funny guy!! how long did it take for you to think of that one? All I wanted to know was if someone could give me a good match for a rod and reel and that seems to be to difficult...I come on here and everyone seems to be helpful, usually...I guess kayak fishing is taboo around here.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
denw72 wrote:
kayak forum? I was asking about what conventional rod to get for trolling for stripers what does that have to do with kayaking?:confused::confused:

and

i bought a...112H Penn Special Senator Reel...for trolling and jigging from my kayak anyone recommend a good conventional rod to go with it nothing to pricey please($100 maybe a little more)...thanks for any input.

and kayak saltwater fishing?

I have been kayak fishing for about 6 years now all saltwater...never flipped once. I will be trolling for stripers. Caught about 40 stripers in 2 months on that kayak plus one 42incher!! lots of biiig bluefish too. I primarily fish for blues and stripers in the back bays with a spinning set-up and lures, want to try some trolling this year. So if anyone has some info on a good conventional rod please let me know thanks again...P.S. I have been shark fishing tuna fishing and just about everything else on boats all my life nothing and i mean nothing compares to kayak fishing!

So you are shocked that someone advised you to post in the kayac forum. I wonder why?

Between your own comments, impatience, self-contradictions and unpleasant attitude when someone actually responded to your question, you shouldn't be surprised that you didn't get more of a response.

BY the way, a search will show some lami rods that are made specifically for the application you originally asked about.

Try the search function.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks

thanks mickrazz!!
obtuseangler, yeah yeah i know i got a little pissy...just wanted some ideas for a rod and the first reply was get something cheap cause its going in the drink...so that just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I am very very passionate about kayak fishing and there is always some childish comment about it from the "boat" guys. So I was defensive I think they will live...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
den,

No problem, for an < $100 rod for trolling behind a yak, can we assume you want a very whippy (slow action) rod with a parabolic bend and some guts? If so the cheap "japanese jigging rods" ie trevala and the even cheaper knockoffs (J & H carries them) may be the ticket.

If you want a faster action tsunami makes a couple of rods in that range that will also work.

·
Registered
309 Posts
J&H has a barefoot jigging rod that will match up nice with that reel. ($49.99)I just got one for Christmas and put the exact same reel that you have on it.

I have yet to put it to the test, but it sure feels right.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
denw72 wrote:
I bought an ocean kayak drifter about 5-6 six years ago and use it on the upper delaware for flyfishing and small trout ponds too. It is stable wide sit on top with alt of room. What kind of kayak you own for salwater fishing? I seen some really cool featured fishing kayaks that will do the trick! I have a penn power stix 25lblb. MH action with a nice long conventional butt handle for your watercraft pole holders. I would guess a softer action rod spin/conv. with a long handle and plenty of flex to subdue those torpedo runs while tugging you around in circles.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kayak?

I have a Widerness Systems Pungo 120 Sit-In kayak, very stable very comfortable caught many biiiig bluefish and striped bass on it...I to ended up getting a penn power stick for the reel, rated up to 50# line can't wait to use it!!! I also have a shimano teremar inshore series spinning rod rated up to 30# with a shimano stradic 5000FI spin reel for plugging the marshes! I did notice the power stick butt handle is a little tight for my scotty rod holder may have to look into another type of holder...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.