NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm hearing a lot about how conventional reels are so much better than spinning. I surf fish and i was wandering why conventional reels are better. Thanks And would you recommend the PENN squidder?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Matt17,
I am not saying that at all, there are times where I use my spinning outfit and leave my conventional to dust.
For example, I predominately use my spinning outfits for light artificial lures such as swimmers, needles, bucktail, jigs and plastics. I also extreme fish and there is no way I am going to dunk my conventional in the salt!

When do I use conventional gears? If I were to toss big wooden plugs, heavy bucktail, chunk or other heavy payloads, I immediately rely on my conventional outfits for better leverage and balance.
I will also use conventional gear when bottom fishing and the big game critters.

Again, it?s not about what?s better, it?s about using the right tool for the right application.
I hope this helps.

BTW: The PENN squidder goes back many years but it is still a wonderful reel! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good Advice C-A;

I do a fair amount of freshwater fishin as well;
here's my rule of thumb, anything under 3/8 oz is
spinning and 3/8 and over is conventional. Of
course there are time's and places to break the rule! But for saltwater just "Supersize the above"!

Fishon!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Revolving spool reels were around for a long time before "spinning" was invented. The guy who invented the spinning reel called it "threadline". Before WW2 it was acknowleged that spinning had a limitation in how heavy the line could be. But "conventional" reels required skill. while 15 minutes of instruction made you an "expert" at spinning.

Follow the line down the guides on a spinning rod. See that 90 degree bend in the line as it crosses the bail and goes to the spool? That's one disadvantage right there. Now imagine a cast. The line has friction going over the lip of the spool. and makes big, energy-wasting loops as it comes off. The first guide on a spinning rod isn't called the "gathering" guide for nothing. In contrast, when a conventional reel is cast, the spool wants to spin FASTER than the line peels off. It's a "push" or "negative resistance". The disadvantage to a revolving spool reel is that it requires skill. Squidder is a great reel, but doesn't have a mechanical nor a magnetic brake to assist casting. A "mag10" or a "mag525" requires less skill than a Squidder. An Abu 6500-c3 requires less skill than any of the above. I can't think of an easier revolving spool reel to cast, but that doesn't mean there isn't one, just that I can't think of one at the moment. Also...when baitfishing, the "clicker" "(ratchet"," line-out alarm") has less resistance for a fish to feel, assuming you spike your pole. I have learned that you miss a lot by not holding your pole, so perhaps that argument is less compelling than the others.

The best of casters still gets the occasional backlash. Picking a backlash out in the dark is difficult, if not impossible. I use spinning exclusively after dark, despite being quite comfortable with conventional reels. For 8nBait, for spiking your rod during the daytime, IMO conventional can't be beat! Distance isn't all that important, but if it is the parameter YOU measure a reel by, let me say that even a poor caster with conventional can out-distance all but the tournament caster using spinning. It's not even close.

Flounder

PS: For a boat, where casting isn't a factor at all, there is NO EXCUSE for using spinning gear!

G

·
I agree with Crazy Alberto and use the
conventional rod and reel from the surf for big
plugs or slinging big baits with big lead. I
recently found where I could get 10 oz. pyramid
sinkers and found I was able to toss 30 lb. test
with a bunker head out further and not to mention
having my offering stay in one place during a
heavy sweep! Although I broke cherry on a Penn
Squidder, I'm using my Ambassador Syncho 7000C
(without level wind) more for chunking and heavy
plugging! On a personal note, I find that the Penn
Squidder's drag system is superior to any of the
Ambassador big water conventional reels! Also, if
anyone has the discontinued Ambassador Syncho
7000C I would suggest you take the level wind off,
this also adds significantly when throwing 3 to 4
oz bottle plugs, heavier bucktails or eels!
One other time I use a light conventional out
fit is when fishing in the spring with lead head
jigs, the Ambassador 6500 reel is perfect when the
schoolie are in close! I use a Steel Head
conventional rod so you can imagine the bend in
the rod when I hook up! The power plant back in
the early 90's was the place for using this set
up!

Tight Lines and a Little D

NORTHFORKWILLY

Tight Lines & A Little Drag!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.