NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
I am a serious conventional guy but when it comes to the beach i will not pick one up unless i am throwing some big baits!

Clam balling i use a penn 550 and 650.

For throwing bunker and such i like to use a smaller calcutta like a 400 or i use a small internation 955 open top.

Thats my opinion.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
For me spinning reels handle any stuff I'm tossing continually(artificials LOL) from 3/8oz leadhead/plastix up to the big 3oz wood.

Conventional reels take over when I hit the big bucktails in the inlets. The 3,4 and 5ounce lead required here is handled much better on conventional gear IMHO. Not to mention saving my finger!!!! Conv. reels also handle any bait throwing, chunks, worms, live/rigged eels, whatever. Again I feel the wieght of the offering is just better handled on conventional tackle. Over the years I've used the Abu 7000s, Squidders, and in recent years the 525mag and I keep going back to my stash of Penn 980mags!!! :) 7 of these beauties are in the rotation from the beach to the boat. Best reel they EVER made far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
finsup21 wrote:
Any recomendations on a good rod to use with an ABU 7000 for tossing bucktails?

What size bucktails?? I see you mention the 7000 so I'd think you're looking at the larger ones. I'm looking at the same now and have it narrowed down to 9ft Rainshadow su1088, a 10ft Rainshadow su1208, or the real warclub from Lamiglas 1221mh at 10ft 2inches.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the last one. :)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Fins,

I'll give you my thinking and maybe you can take some of it for the locations you are 'tailing.

I am just about decided on the Lami blank I mentioned above for a few reasons. The rating on the blank is WELL over the 3-5oz bucktails or leadheads used in the inlets I like to fish. This overkill will give me the chance to control a good fish that eats one of them and rides a full moon ebb out the inlet towards Atlantic City!! :) I also like to throw BIG wood around the West end bridges. These big plugs bother my finger with a spinning outfit so it should do the job here as well.

If you are planning on fishing the inlets lined with sandy beaches then you could surely lighten the stick up. I'd think the Lami 120m would fit the bill for most of your bucktailing in those inlets. While I've heard good things about Rainshadows, finding them has proved difficult and I've decided to stick with proven Lami GSB series.

Good luck in your search, hope this helps you some. Feel free to PM me if you have any other Qs

Paul

This post edited by surfstix 10:05 PM 01/28/2008

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.