NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy Al:

You've done a great job with this discussion board. Keep up the good work.

Question for you. Do you have many members from Connecticut? I enjoy your site, but would like to ask more questions about New Haven/Milford fishing. Am I the only one from this area that ritually logs on to your site?

If there are other fisherman out there from my area, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks,

Soundfisher

· Registered
38 Posts
Alberto has a few friends up in CT, but he rarely graces the state with his presence unless he's passing through to RI and MA (where the fishing is better).

The Housy is fairly entertaining all year long as long as Devon is spitting out hot water. Catch a sunny day in the 40's and schoolies will hit small bucktails.

Milford harbor another story...

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bassturd:

You'd be surprised with the fishing we had this season in Milford harbor, east to West Haven. It was incredible from September to Late November, for both Stripers and Blues.

I moved here from Newport, RI and fished many areas along the state's coastline. I have to say the best saltwater fishing I've had over the last 10 years was actually in Connecticut this year.

Please be aware I do not own a boat, so all my fishing was off beaches, rocks, and jetties.

I appreciate your input.

Soundfisher

· Registered
32 Posts
I'm from Ct. also, but mostly a freshwater guy and mostly in the reservoirs in Putnam and Westchester County. These are now closed for the foreseeable future due to Sept. 11. I like saltwater fishing; I just don't know much about it. My prime love is steelhead fishing which I do about once a month during the winter early spring, but I'd love to do some saltwater surf stuff, even now. I think I've got a lot to learn, although I've done it much more in recent years. I uusually don't fish salt water until the fall, but I may have to start. Would love to share CT. info and I am a regular, daily, board visitor.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Billigan:

Where do you live? I recently moved to the Milford area (approx. 8 months ago) from Newport, RI. This summer I fished 3-4 days/nights a week, primarily in the Milford, West Haven, New Haven area.

Regardless of what some may say, the fishing was great. I do agree the fall is the best time, but there are many spots in my area where big Blues and Stripers were taken with regularity.

I'd be more than happy to share some info. Let's chat.

Soundfisher
(The real name is Roland)

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Hiya Folks...
Thanks for chiming in! :)

To be perfectly honest with you... I do have friends that tells me there are BIG bass prowling Conn. waters... but access is a big issue.

During the early migration months (late May -June) and the late (Sept.- October) months are prime cow seasons.

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crazy Al, thanks for the input.

Access has been a major problem for me, especially considering I'm new to the area. I've scouted out areas all along the Housatonic and one of the better spots for winter fishing (near the Devon power plant) has now placed restrictions on fishing.

I'm a little frustrated because I'm dying to get out there and fish for some Stripers, but I need a little help from you guys for some recommended spots.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Soundfisher

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crazy Al, thanks for the input.

Access has been a major problem for me, especially considering I'm new to the area. I've scouted out areas all along the Housatonic and one of the better spots for winter fishing (near the Devon power plant) has now placed restrictions on fishing.

I'm a little frustrated because I'm dying to get out there and fish for some Stripers, but I need a little help from you guys for some recommended spots.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Soundfisher

· Registered
36 Posts
Hey Soundfisher,

I work in East Norwalk and commute from Westchester. From July on I usually carry a pole with me to work. I catch the 6 am train and am in back of the Maritime center by 7. Usually spend the next hour and a half throwing Kastmasters from shore for juvenile bluefish ( little bigger than snappers) and schoolie stripers.

Ocassionaly I'll hit a big fish, my personal best was a 12 lb blue taken on an 1 1/2 ounce kastmaster. It's pretty fun catch and release action and right now they're catching ton's of herring there. Stopped by yesterday and ************* were basically getting triples and doubles with every cast.

Two things of note, this place literally swarms with bunker and american shad during aug, sept, and oct. U can see them flying out of the water. My guess is that bait is the way to go. I usually don't want to get bunker on me before work!!!

Also, a lot and I mean a lot of guys keeping shorts!!! Had a couple of guys who saw how well I was doing jigging the kastmaster on the bottom for bass and asked me to teach them. Almost got into a fight because I didn't want them keeping anymore shorts than the occasional one they pull up.

It takes care of my addiction while a wait for the weekend.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Bluegill:

Thanks for the reply. Ironically, I'm more of a bait fisherman than lure guy. But I have been fishing a lot lately in the Housatonic, using jigs and plugs. I definitely need to start using some lures this spring to increase my chances when the fish aren't taking the live stuff.

I've been fishing mainly in the Milford, West Haven, and New Haven areas. I'd love to find some other places to fish.

The Blues were real heavy this year. Caught an 18 pounder on bunker in November with many in the 15 Lbs range from August thru November. We tried plugging (Bombers and Needles), but the Blues and Stripers never touched em. So needless to say, we stuck with the live stuff.

We should chat to see if we can hook up.

Soundfisher.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the way Rick...

My fiance's family has a beachhouse in Westbrook. Spent many a night fishing off the beaches there and had several good nights of fishing. I can only imagine the fishing off a boat. So many options.....

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way Rick...

My fiance's family has a beachhouse in Westbrook. Spent many a night fishing off the beaches there and had several good nights of fishing. I can only imagine the fishing off a boat. So many options.....

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way Rick...

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the way Rick...

· Registered
321 Posts
I live in Stamford, but keep my boat in Mystic. I fish inshore from Fishers to Plum Gut to Niantic, but I'm an offshore junky. You'll find me most of the time in the new Offshore forum. Always looking for good people to fish with.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mahi:

Ironically, I was working in Stamford before my lay off two months ago.

I certainly don't blame you for being and offshore type of guy. There's nothing like being in the open ocean.

I'd be more than happy to talk to you a little more about doing some fishing in the coming months. You can either drop me a line here on the board, or you can email me at [email protected].

Talk to you soon,

Soundfisher

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.