NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!! Just finished up another rod and I have a question. The blank is black in color and I used Gudebrod Nylon #245 Royal Blue with gold accents. The blue looks great. I had this problem before and just lived with it but I dont want to this time. I have some Flex Coat color preserver and thread sealer but I dont know if I should use it. I dont want to darken the blue on the rod. I tried it on a piece of the thread and it darkened it. Am I doing something wrong?? Or should I just go and forget the preserver and coat the rod with the high build??? Please help, I'd like to keep the nice color. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

I do everything not to use color preserver/sealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It causes more grief than it is worth!!!

It does seal the thread to the blank or underwrap.

I know custom rod builders who use sealer on all their wraps. They are looking for the flat color look.

It does take a nice shiny nylon thread and give the thread appearance a DULL finish.

If there is anything wrong with the sealer you might have trouble getting the epoxy to stick to the thread.

If you don't entirely cover sealer with epoxy, water will get under the epoxy because sealer is water soluble.

Usually applying epoxy to thread causes the color to darken somewhat.

Most of my rods get wrapped with Gudebrod HT Metallic thread. It has the strength of nylon thread, I don't have to use color sealer/preserver, Epoxy sticks to it, it hasn't faded and my customers like the look.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Hi!! Thanks for the info. I'm going to try the U-40 this time and from now on go with ncp or that ht metallic. Thanks again. Boy I hate that dull darker finish after all that work.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

I hear you.

Remember, many times when wrapping with ncp thread you will still have to apply sealer, especially light colors over a dark blank.

Ncp thread has a tendency to loosen up when sealer is applied to it.

If you are near Sayville give a call and stop by. I will show you how the HT Metallic looks on a finished rod. I have all the colors and then some.

Capt Neil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.