NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of mooring my 19 mako in this harbor can anyone tell me if this area is very good for top water (light tackle)and also flyrodding. I have been fishing the southshore (jones beach area)and want a change of scenery next year

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cold Spring Harbor does offer some good light tackle action. You may want to visit Cold Spring Fly Shop in the town for some advice from Capt.Ken Kuhner. He also guides this area as well. I fly fish out of Huntington Harbor and have success with Stripers, Blues, Weaks and Albies. 2001 was not so good as we never had the influx of Peanut Bunker which usually turns this area on. This past season saw greeat action with Blues from 2-13lbs. on the fly. Action was solid from May till about mid July. For me as I usually head East, most of this took place from Eaton's Neck to Sunken Meadow. Bass were picky and not as good as usual. May and June were O.K. at the lilco outflow. Albies are hit or miss usually starting mid September. This of course is my opinion. We do experience "worm hatches" on the new and full moons of late May, June, and July. Fish the outgoing which usually is just after Midnight. The bass are generally smaller but 30 fish nights are possible. Beware the North Shore is generally very rocky which helps the fishing but can damage lower units. Most of my best days are first light up against the marshes as you probably experience down south. Ken Kuhner fishes Oyster Bay often and this area is more like the south shore drains. Stop by and see the shop he's a heck of a nice guy. Good Luck wherever you fish. Sunsplash

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm in a slip at a town marina in Huntington Harbor. I'm not sure if this is residents only. There are public ramps in both Cold Spring and Huntington Harbors. Both are in good shape. If your thinking about Cold Spring Harbor note that you most likely will be at a moring as the harbor does not have many marinas. Those that are there are more like clubs with substantial fees. If your looking for a slip you may want to look into Oyster Bay or Huntigton which offer more traditional marinas. The area is quite scenic, fishing is o.k. I know western South Shore was where you wanted to be this past fall run. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cold Spring Harbor has excellent fishing. When the pogies(moss bunker) arrive the blue fish and bass go nuts. It is not uncommon to see acres of fish on the surface chassing the bait at dawn or dusk. Light tackle is great fun but waited trebble hooks with snagged bunker to feeding fish underneath can't be beat. Hot spots: Robbinsons stone deadmen, The currents a) just south of the public beach after the causway b) just north of Oyster Bay (both are tidal pools), The Dump-trolling in the Sound just west of the harbor, and along the causway from The Bath Club out to the lighthouse. It's been quite a few years since I fished there but I used to spend every waking hour on the water there when I was a kid. Rule of thumb was the schoolies showed up on tax day.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You can launch on 25a in csh drops you in bay. Fishing is good here, I fish the sound 90% of the time.From Oysterbay to Port Jeff. Check charts and Conn. regs, Most are different from NY regs
Good Luck and see ya on the sound.
Bob

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have fished Cold Spring Harbor for a bunch of years and I have to say that 2001 was by far the worst in years in this area. No bait at all. A total absence of blitzing. Not good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you are looking for a good club I suggest Sagamore Yacht Club in Oyster Bay next to the Town of Oyster Bay marina. You can moore there and use their launch service to get to your boat. They have a nice facility on the water and the rates are good. Call Them at 516-922-0555 and ask for Bob Nichols the Dockmaster he can fill you in. Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.