NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me thank Capt. Marc for this link, I think. I might have prefered to not know most of what I've gotten off this site. A ton of interesting reading.

Not looking good. Should be some gloves dropped over this one.

http://www.bdssr.com/latest/f33_suit/f33_suit_update_apr.htm

Nothing about rec. proposals though. How convieniant. Check out the NAMA proposal (stewardship). They erronously state that rec.s have a lower length limit than the comm.s and also state that according to NMFS we caught 20% of the cod last year.(it still wasn't as much as their by-catch and was only 20% because of the strict regulations already in place). Open those up and we're not a hill of beans. In fact take the amount of fish we caught last year and apply it to the cod caught three years ago by the comm.s. Then what would our % be? Much smaller I'm sure. Its no wonder we'll take the shaft again. The people that may be making the decisions are being fed erroneous information by the very people they have depended on to keep track of such information. We'll take it in the keester again. Just as an unnamed poster suggested we do. I'm really getting sick of the politics played across the board. We are suposed to be governed by people looking out for our interest yet we continually get dragged down because we will put up with it. Its time we make sure we have people that are really looking out for our interests. Some of these guys in the game right now look pretty shady to me.

A disgusted Capt. Spike

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Cod Regs

Capt.

No problem. I am just as fustrated as you are. Recently the NEFMC formed a Recreational Panel for input into what the Rec sector would like. They have no voting powers. If you ever watched Survivor on TV you wil understand the politics and shady deals which goes on behind closed doors. That is what happens at these council meetings and the Recs have no poker chips to play with.

By the way, Our catch was so high because the NMFS consider fishing mortality all fish removed from the water. So if you throw back a live and kicking scroc it is considered dead as far as the statistics go.

Makes you think twice about reporting cod thrown back on trip reports, doesn't it. Now lets raise the rec limit to 23". More small fish are returned but in the eyes of NMFS, more are caught and killed and we are blamed for catching even more fish. This is BS.

Capt. Marc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.