NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.
I've been reading the Cod Fishing Bible in Leps forum. It is awesome! I read about certain jigs for bottom pounding, squidding & fluttering. The thing I missed was detailed explainations of these techniques and the hows whens & wheres of these techniques.
For the good of us newbies, wannabes, and even sharpies that could benifit from some clarification & varied details.
Please share your jigging techniques with us incuding important and perhaps subtal details that can help us catch more fish!
Thanks much!
JD

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
JD

Pretty simple. with the jig on bottom, put the rod butt against your lower body and raise the jig with a brisk swing of the rod vertically keeping the butt in place. Vary the speed and height of the lift depending on how the fish are feeding and what they are feeding on. Sometimes you can tease them by instead of one lift, use a motion that incorporates 2-3 jerks in the lift. The most important thing is to allow the jig to go back to the bottom almost as a free fall but always keeping a feel (slight tension) on the line. Most times they will hit on the fall before it hits bottom or just as it hits bottom and then you have to react fast with a quick jerk to set the hook.

Just experiement and watch others. Not much to it. A great feeling when you set that jig, it doesn't move like you stuck bottom, but it isn't bottom.

Marc

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Squidding

Squidding is a pretty simple technigue. You drop your jig to the bottom and crank SLOWLY about 10 turns and drop back to the bottom again if you don't get any bite. Most cod fishermen specializing in squidding use single hook with teaser or tube instead of treble hooks.
A teasered hook one or two feet above jigs get many bites too when squidding. All jigs can be used for squidding, but diamond jigs and Crippled Herring always work great for me.
When you feel bites while cranking, continue cranking until you feel the full weight of cod before setting the hook.

This post edited by KILSONG 07:27 AM 01/25/2008

·
Registered
540 Posts
kil well put about the squidding. however, squidding can be frustrationg when you first try to do it because your first reaction will be to lift the rod to set the hook. you will intially miss alot of fish until you can get the feel for the bite. When you get the right feel you can feel the fish swim up behind the jig and you can adjust your speed according (when using braid).

The best technique of all is to PAY ATTENTION!!!! Always be aware of what people are doing around you and adjust. I remember when i first started fishing on the HH when I was younger and i was out fishing people, they would just get mad and curse at me. None of them asked how i was doing it or asked for any pointers. So dont be affraid to ask people around you.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Bob - Eddie Serafin used to teach people to jig that way "Cast it out and let it drag along the bottom as we drift - the big cod are lazy and like to suck the jig right off the bottom . . . "

Yes, Eddie sold jigs on the side

Jigging is not rocket science - fast or slow, squiding or not - the most important thing to do is pay attention to what is working that day or on that particular drift - sometimes you'll be the first to figure out what they and other days it will be someone up the rail from you - adjust accordingly. I tend to jig slower than most - I'm lazy like that - but I'll swing for the fence if I see that's whats working

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
JD,

Pound away.

Bob is right but you have to be wearing sandals, a panama T shirt and white shorts. Make sure your jig is way under the boat and far enough out there so you don't bother the fishermen on the other side of the boat.

Marc

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Codkiller wrote:
Use big trebles with clams on your jig, keep letting out line, pull like **** as you drift along.:)
Bob

Granted I'm a private boat fisherman, that's about my speed.. take out the 345GTI, throw the 32 ounce jig on there, maybe with a couple teasers if motivated, drop it into a 30 degree holder and adjust the line as needed to keep it on the bottom without snaggin, the 2-4's do the rest ;)..

Jon

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great stuff Capt Marc & Kilsong

Codkiller, "big trebles w/ clmas on your jig, pull like **** as you drift along" ...I assume that you are reffering to "bottom pounding". So people really do put a glob of clams on the bottom of a jig

Capt. Marc, obvioulsy that post about being way under the boat was entirly facious

Leakyrivot, 32oz jig....wow! What did you mean by 2-4's:rolleyes:?

Thanks again everyone. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates & can learn from this thread:).
JD

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
jjdbike

Technique described is affectionatly called fishing NY style up here and since I see you are from PA you should probably not use clams on your jigs unless fishing on Eastmans or Gaurons out of Hampton harbor:)

Anywhere else cast ahead of the boat with a clean jig and work the jig back to the boat , if in the pulpit you can also cover around the tip by rotating with your non NY style fishing buddies:)
Good luck

Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.