NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay okay, I know cod are dumb and present no real challenge. But I have made what has been thus far a consistant
jig. I'd be hauling them up when others
are seeing no action.
It consists nothing more than a piece of 6 - 8" of 3/4" chromed water pipe, couple end caps, a through wire, swivels
and a treble hook. I put a slight twist in the pipe so it twirls a bit. Drill hole(s) through the end caps, two hole on each end cap to feed the wire back through forming an eye. run the wire through the pipe and thread through the end caps. fit the end cap with one "eye" on to the end of the pipe. And fill with lead leaving enough room to tuck the wire from the other end cap in the pipe. Fit the other end cap on, solder. Attatch, rings or swiles and treble hook The cod nail it consistantly. Was going to try one with BB's also. For what it's worth.
Cheap, fast and effective.

G

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
stainless butter knifes

Funny you brought a thing like this up.
My friend was telling me when he was in the navy and they were anchored up they would fish from the ship. He didnt have any lures but he took heavy butter knifes and cut off the blades and drilled holes for hooks and used this all over the world in place of a diamond jig. he said they worked great and there were no more butter knifes on the boat afetr everyone found out.He caught Tarpoon, in Fla in Jacksonville bay, and other species of fish where ever he fished. Funny he still has some of them. if I get a chance i'll take a pic of them and post it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
'tog
Photo would be great...I've seen that kind of improvised jig made from beer can openers, the flat lever from one of those big size figernail clippers & even saw one a guy made by beating the mortal sh*t out of a Zippo lighter case until it was semi-flattened out...the thing was stainless, after all, and gurgled along right smart...it was **** on northern pike in the lakes around upstate NY...

Anybody else seen weird home-made stuff around?

Jerry Vovcsko

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wish I had a digital camera.
Could post some pix of FW lures made from lost\single earrings.
Been meaning, no thats a lie..trying to get the guts up to ask wife for the tampon applicators. Think they'd make great disposable molds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I'm back in control now and can type gain, well sort of.
But, no didn't use them, hated em, they either "got lost" blew out or ruined the
moment, anything under 60 sec. constitutes a moment, RIGHT?.
LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I'm back in control now and can type gain, well sort of.
But, no didn't use them, hated em, they either "got lost" blew out or ruined the
moment, anything under 60 sec. constitutes a moment, RIGHT?.
LOL

·
Registered
232 Posts
A pipe DReam

I can see TSA now. Allright put down the COD JIG! Hands over your head!

Dont try to take those Jigs in your carry on bag;Mon.

PS I make some squid jigs out of soft 2" dia PVC/Vinyl tubing about 1 ft long with Red rubber pipe caps on the end and shoved up the middle. Slit the tubing 8 ways like a Pizza and filled the center with BB'S. They work GreaT!

Inject Bunker Oil with a hypo and it leaches out nice and slow. Makes a stinky mess to boot!

BB'S rust in about 1 day and screw up the Bristol Teak Deck Shine. Replace them with #6 lead birdshot and they sink faster and troll better without the ugly stain.

200Lb test TRriple Fish Leader material down the center with a crimpped #8/0 Treble hook.

Troll in a pattern of 8 to 12 rods at about 6 to 8 knots!

WOW!!! Hang on!

CAPT WALT
[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.