NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shimano Torium 30 with 80 lb briad and am looking for a cod jigging rod. I would like to find something 8' reasonably priced that will last a long time. Would like to know what your thoughts are and where I can get one. Thanks, Hair Bone

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
What's reasonable to some is batsh1t-loco-insane to others. That said, I'd recommend the heaviest 8' Daiwa Saltiga, which is a great rod for $99.95 MSRP. The only catch is that they are impossible to find. The one I saw/touched/took a cast with was purchased in a FL tackle shop.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to find?

Since I live in Upstate NY it is hard to find a good rod to bring on a head boat with me.

I had the torium on a custom rod I found at a local shop that was custom made for a fellow who didn't pick it up. Great rod but it is only 6'6' and the real seat to the end of the rod is too short to make it a good jig rod. It is great for bait dunking and I have a penn jigmater 500 with 80lb braid on it now.

I also have a penn 149 with an old st. croix stick that if my favorite bait rod. Last time I fished it was at Cashes and even though the seas were boiling I had a hook up just about every time the 20 oz sinker hit bottom.

I really want a nice rod but hate to spend money on a custom stick that I might use 4-6 days out of the year. The other big isuue I have is finding a tackle supplier who has a good online store suited to New Englad Groundfisherman. Since I live a distance away I can not go into my local store and buy jigs and sinkers in the 10-24oz range. By the time I usually get to the coast to get on a boat heading out, the tackle places are usually closed or do not have what I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Well, if you don't want to spend a ton of cash you could always go for the Ugly Stick BWB 1120, which last time I checked retails for around 80 bucks. The tip is a little on the soft side but can definitely be used for jigging, or you could cut down the tip to make the rod 7'6" or so, which I know a lot of guys have done...

BWB 1120

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ugly Stick BWB 1130

I picked up a 8'BWB 1130 Ugly Stck for $40 with shipping online that I am going to try on my torrium. I think it will be fine and will have it in a few days. I hope to get out in February around the new moon to try it out. Thanks, HB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.