NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading out Cod and Haddock fishing out of Mass and will be fishing 60 lbs. thin braid. Last year I used a 50 lbs. Mono leader but now I'm thinking is the leader really needed? I will be fishing both bait and Jigs. The braid seems super thin and is dark green so I'm thinking it will be well blended in. Any thought on this guys?

· Registered
581 Posts
Yes!

Mono leader is a must. Not only will it help you use less fish as it acts as a shock absorber, but it will make tangles easier for the mates to get out as most of the time tangles occurr in the last 40' or so of line. Advice: use between 30 and 60 feet of mono topshot over your braid.

-Tim

· Registered
1,370 Posts
Wheather or not you need a leader depends on your rod and your drag. You need something to absorb the head shakes and lunges of a large cod. If you have a rod with a soft tip that will work unless the rod is fully loaded. Or you could use a very smooth drag set a little light. In reality you want a leader so you can change rigs as needed with out cutting the expensive braid. And to protect the braid from the cod's teeth.

I have a reel with an incredibally smooth drag. Its also a lever drag so I can instantly back off on the drag once I get a big fish off the bottom. I fish 40# spectra with 3' of 40# mono. Color doesn't matter, cod aren't line shy. When fishing over wrecks I go to a longer leader to keep the spectra off the wreck.

· Registered
2,234 Posts
MONO LEADER

BIG YES ! I have seen many BIG Cod and any size Haddock lost because there is ZERO stretch in just using all braid. Also when jigging all braid after a 10 hour or 12 hour trip. The pain in your hands will feel it as well.

JUST MY OPINION

· Registered
4,971 Posts
greysons wrote:
The braid seems super thin and is dark green so I'm thinking it will be well blended in. Any thought on this guys?

Yes, here's a thought - that's a bad thing. You want braid that's easy for people to see, meaning bright yellow or white. As everyone else said, a topshot of mono is the only way to fly.

· Registered
676 Posts
When going out of Gloucester if I hear reports of good nos. of haddock being around I 'll sometimes fish with spectra to a 2-hook rig and has worked well in the past. Believe its key to use a wimpy rod to absorb the constant bouncy thing that haddock give. I use my trevala nuff said ! Went up last week and only brought my seeker with a mono topshot(stiff rod) caught one keeper haddock. Partner brought his wimpy rod and caught 9 . Next time I 'll have my trevala.

· Registered
50 Posts
DandJfish wrote:
the Zero stretch in braid will cost you fish if used without a shock leader. uni to uni a piece of 40-50 lb test mono onto the braid for best results

I am not sure I completely agree with this statement. I think one of the points people are missing is the action of the rod. A heavy meat stick will not have enough action and can put too much of a strike on the fish. So with this in mind I agree with everyone. A moderate or fast action rod will have more bend and give you less of a direct strike. The bend of the rod will give you enough of a shock absorber so that you don't pull the hook. Also the depth and the drift speed is also important. If the current is moving the lines away form the boat a lot, there is enough line to take the shock of the hit.
If you don't use a mono leader you have to tone down your strike a bit. If you use mono then wail away.
I have had plenty of passengers on board with and with out mono leader, and I didn't see a big difference. One thing I can say that I did see is a fast action rod with mono leader couldn't put enough of a strike on the fish in deep water over 200' or over tended to miss the fish more.

Cod can take a strong hit. There mouth are tough when related to haddock which can't take a strong hit because they have softer mouths.

I do like having mono leader on the braid to ease the tangles. I hate down time.

· Registered
674 Posts
I agree with all the reasons mentioned above for the use of a mono shock leader along with the fact that when jigs being bounced on braided line on the bottom will cause the braid to fray and part. Mono can take a lot more abuse. I even use a real heavy 5 ft bite leader on the end of my 35 ft shock leader for those occaisons a whale cod decides to inhale my jig.

Tight Lines,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.