NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Alberto
I never do Codfishing want to go this or next weekend. Could you suggest what party boat I should try on? I live in Queens

What gear? I have 975 with SWR844C(#12-30)which is just good for max 30 lbs?

tks in advance

- Jone

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hi Jone,

At this time, I don?t think any local party boats are targeting codfish. However, that?s not to say there are no cod to be caught. If you really want to catch those golden cows, you will probably need to call a local charter captain and ask to fish a wreck or deeper waters. I am sure you will be able to scrape up a few fillets.

Also, since you live in Queens, your best bet is to travel North (Massachusetts grounds) where the water is cooler and abundant with cod. ;)

As for gear, the Penn 975 should do for smaller cod? but I would use a bigger reel with lower gear ratio in case Mr. Bacalla decides to snatches your bait.

Please let me know if you need more details.

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
293 Posts
The Viking mixed-bag trip last weekend picked up 14 cod on one trip...all relatively small fish in the 9-12lb range. It's not a bonanza, but they are picking. It's mostly a sea bass trip, but they are also getting some ling as well from what I heard.

MC

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Porgyman,
Due to my charter cancellation, I was on the Viking mixed bag trip this past weekend (Sunday). It was a gusty 30 knots, Southeast wind and the Capt. had a horrible time anchoring. We managed a few seabass and ling and I only saw one cod being pulled from the rail and it was barely 21".

I am sure the codfish action will pick up, but nothing like what it used to be.

"Crazy" Alberto

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
If dogfish become a problem, try a jig instead.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
293 Posts
Al - The info I posted about the Viking was from their Friday trip last week. I got this info from someone on Saturday's blackfish trip.

Jone - the mixed bag trips really tend to be sea bass trips. If you catch a cod, consider yourself lucky. Also, if you're planning to travel to Montauk, check the marine forecast. It does get nasty out there as Al pointed out.

MC

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Jone,

What's your opinion on that Loomis rod? I have the same model teamed up with a 965 and I LOVE it for blackfish. It's extremely sensitive but still packs an awesome punch.

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Jone,

Try the King Cod out of Moriches. He runs a limited open boat trip for $100 per person for codfish. He targets small, lesser known wrecks and rockpiles and he still catches cod in decent to good numbers. I believe that he has started codfishing already, but give him a call to be sure. A reservation is a must.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm not knocking this guy, but.....anyone thinking of sailing on his "new" boat should check that one out too. I'm no naval architect but...I don't think he should be carrying on that one either! Spoooooooky!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Fishnus,

He is carrying 10 people on the new boat, meaning that the boat MUST pass Coast Guard inspection or they won't let him sail. If you want to go out for a yacht ride, charter a yacht, if you want to catch bottomfish from the South shore, try sailing on his boat.

Gamakatsu

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.