NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the fishfinder, small green movements at the 200 to 180 ft, on the bottom. Are these cod?. Has anyone had experience with cod fishing in 200 ft of water? In the Hamptons, locals remember when oar and skiff for cod off of the ocean beach was a living in the winter months. Mabey cod are making a comeback?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi,

I would toss over a 14 jig on some superbraide line to get down and see whats down there. I think the water may be a little too warm south of LI now for cod but you never know. Up here in the gulf of maine, cod is caught year round and I always can jig up a few cod while drifting for sharks.

Good luck

Capt. Marc

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
If they are in great numbers then they are either ling, monkfish or dogfish. Skimmer clams will entice them instantly.

If there are just a few and there is some kind of structure, then yes, cod or pollock. As for the waters being to warm in the summer South of Long Island, not true. We always catch cod on the Virginia wreck in July & August. We also had a few dozen in August at Cox's ledge in Montauk. The surface temps might be warm, but ask any diver and they will tell you that our bottom temps below the thermocline are very chilly -perfect for cod year-round.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.