NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Cod Fishing on the Capt AL

5K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  Hipshot 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any recent reports on how Captain Al is doing on his 6:00am Cod Fishing trips? I wanna take my nephews out on Sunday for cod.

#5 ·
Hey Codman,

I really don't want to go off-shore right now. I don't have the time. I went on the Big Jamaica out of Brielle, NJ a couple of weeks ago. The main catch was Sea Bass, with a few pollock mixed in. But, they tend to over book and if you don't get a bunk, the trip sucks. They don't take credit cards to book passage in advance. Do you know of any fishing vessels up north (CT, MA) that do a one day trip, besides the Helen-H? Let me know.

Thanks

#7 ·
I've heard good things about the Frances Fleet. They run a local cod trip daily I believe. (you said that you didnt have that much time to give up) You have a better shot at cod up there. Viking is also running trips from New Bedford, not as far as Helen H, but still a haul from LI. They are starting these trips soon. Still going to try a local trip on the viking some time in March, maybe some fish will move through around then. IF you do go on any of these trips, post the report, there are plenty of people that have the same interest.

#8 ·
I've been out a few times this season for Cod on The Capt AL. The fishing could be better but there are good days(no matter what people tell you). The boat could go out and catch 12 cod or it could go out and catch many with 4 fish over 30pds(which has happened). All in all I think it's worth it to go out, even if you don't catch that 30pounder you will still have action. It's fun, the crew is great, and the captain tries really hard. And I know the present state of the Cod fishing on Long Island is really killing him, because he ALWAYS finds the fish.
J.R.

#9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I am going to try the Frances Fleet. I'll let you guy know what's happening up there. Also, thanks JR for the info regarding the Captain Al. Fine boat. I won't discount it. The Cod are bound to show up in this area soon. I like the Captain Al becaquse of his proximity and the crew are great. I'll give him another shot before I decide to throw in the towel.

#10 ·
The Captain Al does work very hard to put the fares into fish, but theere just aren't many cod around htese parts naymore. There are a few more around this year than in the past few years, but still not worth the trouble to target them specifically.
I've been going on the Frances fleet for the better part of ten years now. Great boat, captains, and mates, but even up in RI the cod are starting to go downhill. You do get really good trips, but for the most part, it's not as good as it used to be. I'd say on an average trip, you can expect maybe a half dozen cod. Good trips, you can fill a big cooler.
The Helen-H is a little too expensive for my tastes, but it is worth it. You are not going on a local trip, you are heading out to Georges Banks, which has definately been improving since the Netters have been restricted there.
Overall, my best recommendation is to head up to Mass. The Yankee fleet (out of Gloucester) is your best best for a low cost, good cod trip.
yankee fleet
yankee capts
The fare runs about 45-50 bucks for local trips. The ride from NYC area is only about 4 hours, which isn't bad, because if you were to go on the Viking, between the ride out on LI, and then the boat ride, you're going to go over 4 hours anyway. Most trips up to Mass, you can expect to get a pretty big catch of cod.
There's a few other boats up that way too. The only one that I wouldn't recommend is the Seven B's. They are right next to the Frances fleet in RI. I find that the mates just plain SUCK, and the captain could care less about putting the fares into fish. That boat is more interested in their Fluke and Striper Trips.
The only problem is that the weather gets pretty bad up in New England, so most boats from Mass north, don't sail during the winter. Most start sailing late March/early April.
I'm going up on the Yankee on March 22nd, and I'll let you all know how I do. It's their first trips of the year, so I'm expecting to do good.
~tight lines~

~spinfreak~

#11 ·
Hey spinfreak,

This is the best information I have seen to date. I checked the websites you posted and I am going to check the Yankee Fleet out. From what I read they seem like a first class outfit and well worth the 5 hour trip. Thanks again.

#12 ·
happy to help out. If you decide to go on the Yankee, it's best to call up and reserve a spot. Even though you're not required to reserve (it is for the most part a "walk on" boat, most people reserve a spot, because of the sheer number of people that go up there fishing. I think they're up to 9 boats in their fleet now. Especially if you plan to go on a weekend, don't even think of going if you don't reserve!
Good luck wherever you wind up going.
If you or anyone else needs any other info, feel free to ask. I can't wait to get back to serious fishing this year... and helping out in the meantime, with info or advice, helps pass the winter...lol.
~tight lines~

~spinfreak~

#14 ·
Yea...I was looking at that too. They get a decent amount of Halibut up that way ecery year. No huge amount, but alot more than you would think.

I'm heading up this year (not sure of an exact date yet) to a group of Islands out 10 miles off of New Hampshire. I've never gone before, but the other guys have. You have to take a ferry out to the Islands. You fish right off the rocks, and there's deep water right there. They've caught mostly Cod, Pollack, Wolffish, Haddock, and Cusk. But they've even caught a few Halibut. This is no BS story. I'll give more info if I can get it. Maybe somebody else on here has gone on this trip before?
~tight lines~

~spinfreak~

#16 ·
No problem. I should be talking to one of the other guys this week, and I'll ask him about more detailed info, as to name of islands, how to get there, etc. I don't know how big the islands are, but he did say that there is at least one motel out htere, so I figure it has to be a pretty decent size island. He also said that you can camp right on shore, next to where you fish.
Like I said , I'll get more info as soon as I talk to him.
~tight lines~

~spinfreak~

#17 ·
Spinfreak,
Now your up in my neck of the woods! The place you are talking about is the Isle of Shoals. There are 7 islands Lunging, Appledore, Smuttynose, Cedar, White, Star, and Duck island. I do a lot of fishing out of Hampton Beach, NH for cod and haddock or inshore for stripers when its to snotty out deep. I have caught some nice cod off these islands but I have never fished them from shore. The cod is for sure on the way back up here and I catch quite a bit near the isles at New and Old scantum basin. If you come up this way with your boat I'll give you some #s to check out. Unlike the prior poster Rob.T I believe in sharing info with other fishermen. We can't forget we were all newbie's at one time. All of us have gotten help here and there so I will always pass on the info. Depending on the year we do well with the blues and stripers around the islands or you can target stripers in closer to Hampton Beach around Great Boar's Head. Chum up some mac's then live line in tight by Boar's Head and its a sure thing. Hey let me know how you make out. www.maptech.com you can check out the islands for yourself. Type in Hampton, NH and move around northeast out of hampton beach. Good Luck

Tight lines to all
Phil

#18 ·
philb102,
Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to talk to my buddy yet, so I couldn't get the info from him. I took a look at the map. (For some reason, I LOVE maps...I've always been able to just sit down and look at a map for hours...lol.) The islands are right on the Maine/New Hampshire border. What state do they actually belong to?
Maybe I'll see you out there sometime. :)
~tight lines~

~spinfreak~

#20 ·
===MakoMike===
Are you saying that I don't have to take that 5 1/2 hour drive to Massachusettes to get in on the good fishing? I live in abouut an hour and a half from Montauk. What boat would you reccommend?

(I was thinking about that when I read the fishing regulations for Mass: 10 cod or haddock combination per angler versus New York: No limit. But, the chances of getting skunked is greater in New York unless you fish the same waters as the Mass boats.)

This message was edited by francim13 on 2-28-02 @ 11:27 AM

#24 ·
Francim,
It depnds on where you want to go. The further to the northeast you go the better the fishing is likely to be. I hear the codfishing around block islands has been picking up. If you go to RI you'll most likely be fishing the same waters as boats from Montauk, so if RI is as far as you're willing to drive, you might as well save yourself the trip and go from Montauk. I think the Viking is the only boat running regularly, but the Capt. Mark has also been sailing as an open boat occasionally. You should call him and find out where he has been fishing. If you talk to Mark, tell him I said hello.

===MakoMike===

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.