NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just read the comments for the proposed remedies filed with the court today to rebuild the cod.

You can read them at:
http://www.bdssr.com/latest/f33_suit/f33_suit_update_mar.htm

Not enough defending the rec sector except from MASS. Division of marine fisheries. Mass is a little off the wall by imposing a 23" length on haddock. This is a cod problem and nothing in the proposed regs by NMFS mentioned Haddock. With the trip limit going up all the time for Haddock, Why suggest imposing a 23" limit on rec haddock? What are these clowns from Mass thinking! The commercial haddock limit is 19" and I think 5000lbs/day with a 50,000lb trip limit. This is BS.

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here we go. This is exactly what I feared. Many other Capt.s felt we had to give something up to show we are willing to work in solving the problem. I say we've suffered enough. Now when we're asked to give yet again someone gets involved and says " hey lets raise the Haddock limit while we're at it". When will we as recreational anglers say enough is enough? What other fishery shall we give up our rights to, protecting the commercial interests? Its starting to smell a lot like politcs. We all know politics follow the money. I'm quite sure any new regulations put on our sector will have minute effect on the biomass of the fishery, since we are already a minute effect. Why people can't see this and determine that we are not the problem and nor are we the solution to the problem I'll never know.Until the heads that make these descisions take their heads out of the bilge we will never get anywhere.They will keep restricting us until we give it up entirely and then the comm.s will have the resource to themselves just as they'd like it to be.
Where are we headed and where does it end? Who is to decide just how many fish we need per person? If these are the points then why aren't they applied across the board? How many people can a dragger feed? How many should he have a right to feed? 50-100? lets see 100 people times ten fish then when he catches 10000 fish he's done. Oh no that would be equal and fair treatment to all partys partaking in the fishery. That wouldn't do. Lets give the lions share to the commercial fisherman, who has depleted the stocks already, and will just wait until the go ahead to drag it down again once all partys have suffered. How much do you spend per trip to catch x amount of fish? How much does the commercial fisherman spend? I'll bet you come out on the short side of that equation. When will they see the light?

Capt. Spike

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Capt. Spike,

Nicely put. To sum up some of the proposals for fixes to the commercial overfishing and by-catch problem, see below:

Northeast Seafood Coalition

8. Private recreational and Party/Charter 10 fish per person limit

11. Minimum cod fish size of 21" for all vessels including recreational.

note: Very supprising since the commercial limit is now 19" and the rec would remain at 21".

12 Western Gulf of Maine closure to be closed to all commercial vessels for harvest of groundfish, including party/charter-but not private recreational.

Note: Trying to split us up? What's up with this!

ME, NH and RI proposed fixes

Recreational Measures

Private Boats:
Increase Cod/Haddock fish size to 23" on May 1 2002
Increase Cod/Haddock fish size to 24" on May 1 2003
10 cod/haddock creel limit except 5 cod/haddock creel limit gulf of maine Dec. 1-March 31

Party Charter Vessels:
Increase Cod/Haddock fish size to 23" on May 1 2002
Increase Cod/Haddock fish size to 24" on May 1 2003
15 cod/haddock creel limit gulf of maine (GOM) apr. thru Nov 30
5 cod/haddock creel limit GOM dec 1 - Mar 31

Mass

23" cod and haddock
10 fish combined for private boats
15 fish combined for Charter/Party
5 fish combined for all anglers dec-march.

General Comment:

Why do the NE state fishery managers propose increasing the haddock and cod size limits and the commercial proposal does not increase the rec size limit? The commercial fix says 21" cod only?

Who's side are the state managers on by imposing harder restrictions on the rec anglers then the commercials?

With the exception of not letting charter/party in the closed areas, the lesser of the evils comes from the commercial proposal.

I just don't get it.

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
It has been my contention all along that recreational fishing regulations for most northeast groundfish are nothing more than appeasement to the commercial sector. Our take on most groundfish species (particularly cod) does not amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of fisheries conservation. It sickens me when people think that there will be more and bigger fluke the following year because the recreational size limit was raised from 16" to 17". They have been brainwashed to believe that increased restrictions on our part will improve the fishery going down the road--It's BS, plain and simple and some of us are swallowing it hook, line and sinker. Let those who destroyed the fishery make the sacrifices to bring it back.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
9 Posts
Open boat/cod

Hello everyone,
I'm looking for an open boat for cod out of the upper cape or Gloucester for April 8/9. Any recommendations besides Helen H ? There doesnt seem to be many daily trips and I'm trying to avoid the weekend crowds.
Thanks
Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.