NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this message at the request of Jack Yee, so I really will not be able to answer any questions about it.
"CLOSING TURTLE COVE"

The Federal Government and New York State Park Worked a "DEAL" with the Easthampton Town Board!

Easthampton Residents and your children will never be able to use your own area. You as a tax payer are paying taxes on Turtle Cove! Go NOW to the Light House and Park in the Montauk State Parking Lot and pay$5.00 to the "NYSP" to go down to Turtle Cove!

Turtle Cove should be open to Residents and paying Non Residents!

EASTHAMPTON "BROWN BAGS" MEETING

Oct 2, 2002, 10 am at the Montauk Fire house!

Stand up and Let your voice be heard

or

Stay home and let them "CRAP" over you!

· Registered
148 Posts
I thought we all,as NYS and Suffolk residents pay taxes.Doesnt the federal govt,Of which we all pat tax,support these beaches as well.Not just TC.The Army Corp Of Engineers must be paid directly from private beach owners.

· Registered
11,581 Posts
So they are saying no one will be allowed to walk down the path or around the light into the cove??

ps- Hagar makes a very good and not often spoken point. Most (if not all) the beachs on LI were built with at least some (if not the majority) funding from the county, state and/or fed. And much of the money for the operation and up-keep of the beaches continue to come from county, state and/or fed coffers. Denying access or charging extreme amounts to someone just because they happen to live over some etheral boundry line isn't fair.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

· Registered
148 Posts
Jack,youve tried ,what 2x,in court over this.Handicap acess was a great idea,many handicapped can hike down bluffs.Will you only be happy when its all closed down.Instead of moving fences pay the 39 dollars.Im sure there is enough money left from E hampton charging absurd and DISCRIMINATORY non resident fees to pass around.

· Registered
100 Posts
What they're probably complaining about is vehicular access. East Hamptonites are allowed, the rest of us aren't. I can't tell what "deal" they're talking about. I dunno what would stick in their craw worse, closing the area entirely or letting us Philistines park there too.

Park yer friggin' truck at the Bluffs and walk around to the Cove if you're to cheap to spring for the $39 Empire Passport or pay the daily fee. Or get to the lot before the fee booth opens, fer Pete's sake.

· Premium Member
3,244 Posts
The last few trips to montauk, I saw open fires, people taking short fish, and beer drinking.

There is virtually NO ENFORCEMENT of any rules, so I wouldnt sweat it to much, although I definately agree that it is wrong to try to keep people out of that area.

It is a historic landmark wich should be able to be appreciated up close.

Matt

· Registered
127 Posts
a little off the subject but..............

I heard about a month ago that there would be public access to the camp hero parking lot later in the season, is there? I figured you guys would know since your talking about Turtle Cove.

· Premium Member
11,904 Posts
East Hampton has alienated all of the non-residents by not allowing them to park there. Now they want support? There is a gate accross the road down there with a sign that says for emergency vehicles only. People can still walk down there from the upper lot.

Yea, Camp Hero is now open to the public which really is a good thing. I just wish it wasn't only three weeks after I PAID for my permit. The gates are open during the day, and I believe there is a fee on weekends and holidays. I don't know if the Empire Pass works there or not. The permit is still required to fish there at night. But like Matt said, I doubt there will be much enforcement of this rule.

· Registered
670 Posts
Turtle cove always and as far as I know- will always have public access. The issue is parking there for persons with resident stickers. I believe thats a dead issue and is not going to happen. So take a walk. As far as the Fort opening to the publc--it deeply sadens me. To me is like tearing down a beatiful victorian house to replace it with a shopping mall. It's a place that is rich in history with surfcasting, that has always had a sense of mystery. I feel that has been somehow lost. There are also plans to put in a fence and move the fence back 75 feet from the bluffs. I'm going to miss those quiet summer nights!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.