NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first time fishing with bellies so I'll need a little guidance. When fishing clam bellies off the back of your boat what kind of tackle (fishfinder rig, 3way swivel, etc.) are you guys using? Leader lengths, hook sizes, weights, no weights, tips, techniques. All info will be greatly appreciated in getting me started thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
8/0 Circle hook snelled to a 3 foot
40-60 pound clear Ande leader. Attach a drail between leader and line that is just heavy enough to get to the bottom. I usually use 1-3 ounces depending on depth and current.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
need more info

skidrow Where are you fishing?
This is important to know so Then I could evealuate the correct rig to use.
Will you be anchored or drifting is key also? And also how much tideor current will you have. before You get a correct answer these elements need to be addressed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More Info

I'll be fishing the Jones Inlet area. For the most part anchored up by one of the cuts in the back bay or at one of the bridges. The current is pretty strong. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can be flexible with the rigs - 3-way, FIsh finder, drail will all work. You want the minimum weight that will slowly get the bait down. Fish can be taken anywhere in the water column but most often seem to come from the bottom.

Circle hooks are a must to prevent gut hooking short fish. Don't set these hooks, during a run off lock it up a reel it tight. If you do a traditional hook set, you'll usually be fishless.

Chum is key to this type of fishing. Anchor up with your stern slightly upstream from your target area (usually a drop off will be present). Put a good amount of bellies in a chum pot. Also cut some bellies and periodicaly put of few of the pieces into the water flow. This will give your boat good attractant coverage throughout the water column. Weed as usual is an enemy here. Any weed on your bait and Bass will not touch it.

Good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.