NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 568 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I see it started in the BASH forum, I didnt want to add to it since thats not what that topic was set up to do. So here you go guys ...lets here what you smoke.....Cigar talk only not Mary Jane talk.
Am 36 and have been smoking cigars since the age of 20. Growing up my father had a Cuban friend 30years older than him at the time that would come over the house with his Cuban cigars and watch the baseball games with us. The smoke drove my moms nuts. My father doesnt smoke cigars and for New Years quit smoking AGAIN! I fell in love with the smell of cigars and knew one day I wanted to try them.
Ovber the years I have tried thousands of cigars!!!I am not a Cigar expert like others claim to be, I just let my taste buds tell me what they like. Up to now the best cigar I have smoked was the Cuban Monte Cristo #2. I recently fisnished 2 Cohiba Piramides Edicion Limitada 2006 that someone gave me as a gift. I have to say those cigars kick azz!!! What is my favorite cigar for my money has to be the La Flor de Maria Mancini magic mountain. It cost 3-4bucks bucks but I would rate this cheapo with any of the big boys.
So lets hear what you guys smoke.......------......

This post edited by Gaucho 08:54 AM 01/15/2010

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
You have good taste my friend

I like the Romeo and Juelettia Churchill but they are a little heavy and not for your occaisional smoker. I just opened my fresh box of Monty's # 2's. They are my favorite right now. I alsi like the Cobiha's Esplendidos and have smoked many other's. The problem I have is now that I like Cuban Cigars it's hard for me to smoke non-cuban's.
I have several other brands in my humidor but 90% Cuban.

Pablo

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
with cubans being illegal and hard to get and expensive when they can be found ,i smoke mostly dominicans,i enjoy the montecristo,esp the white labels...h upman vintage cameroon...avo classic maduro..and even the macanudo duke of winsor.the best prices ive found are from jr cigar on the web

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
Your Right about that psyco

But I have what I call the Cuban Connection Hee Hee. I get mine straight from cuba so there only 10 bucks each and No I can't tell you my source or I'd have to kill you LOL.

Here's a few I really like including the Monty white's. I also have some unbeliveable Vintage Cigars I have a box of 1979 Macanudo's. Also Vintage Macanudo 1988,1993 and 1997's crysatal Cafe's. Besides a few other's I must tell you I smoke maybe 1 1979 per year usually on New Years Eve and IT'S DA BEST!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
68,838 Posts
I'm with Pablo, I love the R&J churchills as well as their panatellas. Whenever I'm someplace where I can buy Cubans I usually get the R&Js. I do however also like the cuban Montecristo Churchills. Mt favorite brand of non-cubans is La Gloria Cubana. Great smoke at a reasonable price. Hoy de Monteray is anothe favorite brand. Thier Maduro panatellas rock! I don't like the Wimpanudos. I think the cohibas are way overpriced, but good cigars.

·
Banned
7,215 Posts
95%+ of the Cohiba cigars found in the US are counterfeit.

If your Cubans (non machine made) cost less than $8 each, they are fake.
The cheapest real Cohiba's cost a minimum of $10 each,
and vitolas such as Esplendido cost at least $25 each at a minimum, if you are paying any less, you are buying fakes, which most likely are Dominicans or at best, rejected cuban tobacco.
These would be minimum prices for real Cubans, and most legitimate sources can be twice as much or more, depending on the country they were purchased in.
Other than Cuba, the cheapest place to buy real Cuban cigars, is Spain.
Cuba is also a place that many tourist looking for a "deal" end up buying fakes also.

If you purchased Cubans at one of your cruise ship stops, you bought fakes.
If you bought Cubans on your tropical vacation from anywhere but a LCDH store, you purchased fakes.
If you bought Cubans that were a deal because the guy has a relative or friend in the factory, you bought fakes.
If you paid less than Cuban government store retail prices, you bought fakes.

Who has purchased a box of Cohiba cigars with a glass or hard plastic cover for the lid, while on their vacation ?

IMHO, a legal cigar line that has similar taste and strength profile as many Cuban brands is the Opus X line.

Real Cubans :)

This post edited by HungryJack 10:26 AM 01/19/2007

Attachments

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
MY MY HUNGRY JACK

My Cuban Connection is 100% straight out of Cuba. Believe you me. It goes something like this.

I got this friend see, you has this friend see, and his friend gets them from cuba see...

I've had fakes and I know the difference

If you want Let's get together and smoke a few

I know a few nice cigar shops on LONG ISLAND...
What say you
Pablo

·
Premium Member
21,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cohiba's for whatever crazy reason are the #1 fake cigars on the market. You really need to know what your looking at and not just the label but the cigar also. I have smoked fakes ones that I knew where fakes but are not have way bad. My favorite wrapper is the H2000. Man I love that spicey SOB. I can not smoke the maduros. Gives me the shakes.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
i was given an "authentic cuban cohiba " as a tip by a customer of mine who knows i enjoy a good stogie now and then.jeez was i suprised when i went to use a gillotine cigar cutter and it wouldnt cut the cigar...upun further inspection i found a nail in the **** thing.what kills me is that i thought it was a bogud cuban but it still looked and smelled nice so i thought i would give it a shot....what a let down..at least when i get dominicans from a reputable shop i can just relax and enjoy them

·
Banned
7,215 Posts
stpaul7 wrote:
My Cuban Connection is 100% straight out of Cuba. Believe you me.
Of course all real Cuban cigars originate in Cuba,
but it is also a place where large numbers of fake Cuban cigars are sold as well.
A few years ago it became such an epidemic, that the Cuban government had to enact harsh criminal penalties and a number of regulations to curb the problem.
It is still fairly prevalent, but not as bad.

In Cuba there is a whole industry (illegal) that makes fakes for the international market, using Cuban tobacco of decent quality and experienced rollers.
They produce almost exact copies of the real ones, and they are smuggled out of Cuba and sold in many countries around the world by reputable cigar shops and many duty free shop, some knowingly, others unknowingly.
It is very difficult to tell the difference by just looking at an individual cigar, you need a complete box, and even then, you really have to know what to look for.
Many of the higher quality fake cigars smoke fairly well, the poor quality fakes will smoke like dog rockets.

For tourists leaving Cuba with cigars, you need to have a receipt from the government store or factory you purchased them from that matches up with the boxes in your position, if you don't, they are confiscated.
Of course many fakes slip by inspection due to corruption or poor searches.

Everybody in Cuba has a "friend" in the factory who gets cigars for a good deal and sells them on side, most are fake.

Stpaul, list one or two of the better sticks you buy, brand, size and cost, and lets see how good your deal really is. :)

stpaul7 wrote:
I've had fakes and I know the difference

But what if all you have ever smoked are fakes,
how would you know what real is ?
;)

Paul, my favorite place to smoke is by the water or on the beach,
most cigar stores in NY make me claustrophobic. :)

Has anybody ever tried Cohiba Cigarillos (cigarette) ****** ?

Attachments

·
Banned
7,215 Posts
gebby wrote:
i have enjoyed the cuban montecristo torpedos as well. we bot them a couple times in bermuda, jack did we get picked off?
For a number of reason which I will explain later, the Caribbean is littered with fakes, same with Mexico.
Do you remember how much they cost ?

This post edited by HungryJack 12:00 PM 01/19/2007

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
Avo Uvellino maduro torpedo

MakoMike wrote:
Mt favorite brand of non-cubans is La Gloria Cubana. Great smoke at a reasonable pricegood call, got a nice write up in Cigar Aficionado several years ago

it's tough to smoke cigars if you're a Piker...who can justify $10 for a cigar?

I used to get cigars by the box from MAY ROSA, a little maker in lower Manhattan (across Broadway from Paragon Sports). IIRC a box of their 'Queens' was only $40...my kind of price...mild cigar with a sweet wrapper

cigar smoking goes exceedingly well with sedentary outdoor activities (fishing, golfing, shooting, taking your hound to the woods)

This post edited by SORTIE 01:44 PM 01/19/2007

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
HJ?s assertion that most of the ?Cuban? cigars found in the US are fakes is true. I am in the cigar packaging business and more then a few cigar dealers have approached me to print Cuban cigar bands, labels and guarantees for them.

It is also true that not only Dominican and Honduran cigars are re-branded as Cuban. As HJ pointed out, cheaply made Cuban cigars, made outside of authorized Cuban factories are often sold as authentic product from those factories.
One can purchase real Cubans from dealers in Spain, Switzerland other European countries. However there is no guarantee that those dealers were not duped or are not cheating either.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
They all STINK like S**T

When my buddies on come out on the boat and light up, I stick my face in the bunker chum just to drown out that nasty a$$ cigar smell.

I'll stick with my marlboro's

Tape a hook to those cigars and troll em'! lol

1 - 20 of 568 Posts