NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Al,
-Should you use whole clams/clam bellies ONLY in the surf? I usually fish from my boat on the north shore(portjeff,stony brook) & there is not a big surf condition. Do we use clams b/c the clams get caught in the surf & smack together ( that is why fishing right after a storm is good?). If so, then the surf conditions on the northshore shouldn't cause this to happen.
-When chunking for bass, you(& your readers) said to put a chum pot on the bottom & fish bunker chunks. What do the bass think these chunks are? do they think that these are 1/2 eaten fish(maybe from the Blues)? My boat will be in the water w/in the next week & 1/2. Hopefully all of this pays off!
Thanks a million!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
We sometime use just the bellies from a boat. Anchor up under the light in the strong current and chum with bellies with a couple, without any weight, with hooks in them. Should work back west if you can find the right spot where the burrent will carry the bellies a distance.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Mikeyt413 wrote:
Should you use whole clams/clam bellies ONLY in the surf? I usually fish from my boat on the north shore(portjeff,stony brook) & there is not a big surf condition. Do we use clams b/c the clams get caught in the surf & smack together ( that is why fishing right after a storm is good?). If so, then the surf conditions on the northshore shouldn't cause this to happen.
-When chunking for bass, you(& your readers) said to put a chum pot on the bottom & fish bunker chunks. What do the bass think these chunks are? do they think that these are 1/2 eaten fish(maybe from the Blues)? My boat will be in the water w/in the next week & 1/2. Hopefully all of this pays off!
Thanks a million!

Yes, the reason the South shore is very productive after a storm is because the large "surf clams" are unbuttoned from the bottom and gets pushed to the shorelines. This phenomenon generally happens during a strong "South" wind and the bass goes on clam frenzy!

Since you fish the Northshore (Port Jeff / Stony Brook)… You should start the chum during the moving tide (Peak of High & Low tide) where the " bunker scent" will disperse the maximum distance (chum slick) to draw fish from far!

Let me ask you a question:
Why do you think the North shore fishers predominantly uses bunker for bait?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Northshore fishermen predominately use bunker b/c that is a typical baitfish on the northshore...As you said in the past match the hatch....but in this instance use the bait that is around...so...if i was to head out & set up chum slick in a hightide current, should i use clams or bunker?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Mikey413,
…but in this instance use the bait that is around...so...if i was to head out & set up chum slick in a hightide current, should i use clams or bunker?

That's excellent reply!
To answer your question… Let me put it this way… If you are looking for action (lots of small fish)… there is no better way to draw them with clam slick. But if you are looking for that elusive trophy… You may have to use fresh chunks! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.