NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Chumming Flounder

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  baywatch 
#1 ·
Over the years I've heard alot of different things about using corn while chumming for flounder.I've heard that they can't digest it,I've heard that it kills them and heard that it is illegal to use.Can anyone clear this matter up for me.I know that the color attracts them but I would like to know if there is any truth to this.Does it hurt them and is it legal to use.
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

#2 ·
To put it as gentle as I can, think of what corn does to you. You don't digest it. Just imagine a flounder trying to pass one of those cernals. OUCH!!!:(
I used to use corn until someone told me that story, makes sence to me. Try painting your sinkers yellow, that is will help attract them, it is the color.

#3 ·
I was always told that they can not digest the corn properly and get "full" on it turning off their "bite." I'm not sure if it would actually kill the tasty flatties and vever saw a floater so I'm a lil skeptical about that.
I still know some successful flounder anglers that mix in some corn to their chum logs. I tend to just use clams and mussels as chum.

#5 ·
In my days when I use to do more flounder fishing we always scattered corn working the tide so that they fell under the boat. When filleting the catch it was clear that the flatties gobbled them up. As far as safety, I'm 90% sure that there o.k. to use. Long time Fisherman" writer Bill Muller, a biologist, echoed these words as well.

#6 ·
I occasionally use corn when chumming. It definately works. As far as hurting the flounder, I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think that it kills them. Maybe fills them up until the finally pass it, but that's probably about it. I've caught flounder with corn in the stomachs, but it looked fresh...never any that looked old. So they must pass it out, just probably takes longer.
I also ocassionally use cracked corn in my frozen chum. If they ingest this, I'm sure it will pass even easier since it is small. Not as effective as canned corn though.
As far as corn being legal, there is nothing on the books that I know of about it. Never read or heard anything about it.
If you feel comfortable using it, then by all means go ahead. If however you have any concerns, stck to clams and mussels. Either way---TIGHT LINES!!!

~spinfreak~

#8 ·
I use fresh mussels that I crack over the side of the boat and they work very will in addition to frozen chum. The fresher the better as they are bright yellow, they attrach the fish like corn would, and I believe that they have to be better for the fish than corn. I also use the yellow painted sinkers, and either yellow or neon green beads on the hooks. (Sometimes, just plain hooks work better, so I carry both).

Good Luck and Tight Lines

#9 ·
I read somewhere that someone wanted to put this age-old question to rest.
They took flounder in a tank and feed them nothing but corn. The results:
Not only did they NOT die, they flourished. It was a long time ago and I wish I could quote a source for you. I have used it along with the standard mussel and Clam chum all mixed together.

Flounder are kind of a funny fish, especially to fresh water fisherman. Some fish are so easily Spooked by splashing and noise. Flounders, you can sit there with a plunger and stir up the bottom. Swim away? Hey no. They come over to see what all the fuss is about!:)

#10 ·
yea paulie, Ive used corn for years, even found some decomposing in the bellies, ************* printed an article 2 yrs ago . There is nothing wrong with it, nor is it illegal, Most fish foods on the market use some sort of ground grain,or wheat,mixed in with the fish meal,If anything it just makes them fatter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.