NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where and What kind to Buy

I am fairly new to fishing, and I was hoping that someone out there could give me some advice on chum. I would like to try fishing with it but I don't know where to start. I saw some chum for sale in boaters world but it was dry and I have no idea how to use it. Could someone please try to enlighten me on Chum! I fish in Great Bay out of Tuckerton NJ. Mostly for Fluke and Weakies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hugh Brown

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its nothing difficult. I use grinded up bunker and add some salt water to it. Make sure it is completely grinded up. You dont want any big pieces out there. Little by little just chum right into the current to creat a chum slick

·
Registered
384 Posts
That dry stuff at Boater's World can be really messy. You add water to it and it creates an oily soup-no large particles.

We grind our own chum for sharking-usually ground herring/mackeral with lots of bunker oil.Make sure you not using big chunks-they will settle fast than the slick (you also don't want to overfeed the fish).

Some people use cat food for chum.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
**** - I say use the cat for chum being a dog lover myself..
Yeah I know - gonna probably get some flack for that one but I couldn't help myself.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks

Thanks to all that replied. I would have no problem using cats if it would help me catch fish. (also being a Dog lover) What about the cans of corn I read about somewhere? Is that good chum for flukes? Do you use a chum pot with the ground up bunker? When using a chum pot how deep should I let it sink?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
you can chum fluke when the weather gets hot and they are up on the flats in 10 feet of water or less. Put a flounder pot on the bottom with a log of ground bunker, snapper chum. Fish snapper floats with enough drop and split shot to keep a live killie just off the bottom & drift the killie back down your chum slick. Works well on incoming water when you anchor on the edges and drift the baits up into the shallows. Where I fish, Middle Bay, Squaw Island and other shallow areas produce this way when other methods fail.

Bill Sullivan

·
Registered
384 Posts
For all of you dog lovers, you gonna love this one.

I went out on a charter from Montauk last summer. The capt. told me a story about a friend of his that had a reliable means of attracting makos. While many people use firecrackers, mako magnets, etc. to create noise in their slick, this particular individual would bring his cat for the job. He would put the cat in a hopsack, tie the hopsack to an intertube so that the bottom of it would barely get wet, and send the innertube off into the slick with the cat wailing. The high-pitched screaming would call in the snaggle-tooths from all directions. According to the capt., such methodology would only work for about a year. Seemed strange to me why it would only last that long so I inquired. Well, it seems that on a trip sometime early into the second season, this individual was little slow on the "uptake" and the mako.....well, had himself a little snack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.