NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Chum & They Will Come

It depends on the weather, with wind speed being the biggest factor. On sporty day drifting at 7-1.2 knots with the boat rocking good we like the bag nice and high out of the water. In doing so the chum is ripped out nice and quick! The higher the bag on rough days the quicker it flows. If is rough and you are running low on chum (which should never happen) then lower the bag.
I think the mission in chumming is to empty the frozen bag as quickly as possible. We usually bring six cans and always burn five on a full day.
Once the first bag is down to a melon size we drop that in the ladling chum bucket and blow the next can as quickly as possible.
My team and I feel that you can never over chum, but you most certainly can over chunk. Scent in life is the key??Like the scene of a women! God knows that we really act a little off our mark when it fills our senor. Sharks are no different.
On calm days when the air is still with a slow drift in the point 3 knot range the bag is fully in the water. Also always check ground speed, there are days when it is calm and you are moving fast with current. In that case we also keep the bag low in the water.
At $4.00 a gallon,,,,coming soon I am sure, bring plenty chum.
In closing we always ladle with the bag. Ladling with bunker oil added along with a few & I mean a few small chunks seems to give the slick a nice top coating and the appearance of a highway to the source and supply.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Chunking

Captain Larry said it all, but most important: menhaden oil.

The way the oil, any oil for that matter, 'breaks down' the wave process on top of the water? That's another 'attractant' for the sharks, albeit as much visual as scent driven.

That 'calm water' effect that can go on for a mile behind your boat attracts bait, birds and sharks just like chum, as it 'stands out' from the rough water around it.

Holey moley, on the roughest days of sharking, that oil slick on top of the water can really show you where your slick is and how to position or reposition your baits, the boat (if you're using a drift bag or chute), etc. and keep you in the money.

Captain Bob

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
To add to this, on placement, we always keep the chum bag on the windward side of the boat, into the slick. However, on my boat with a good fish on, we move, never remove it from the water, but move it to the lee side of the boat when wiring the fish so there is no chance of the leader get tangled up with the bag.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
482 Posts
Along the same lines as Matt, when we are fighting a fish and leaving the bucket in to keep the slick going, we usually tie it off the bow. If you have a pulpit you can run it through the anchor roller and have it just hang below the surface so the bucket won't hit the boat if hard manuevers are needed.

Great advice from eveyone.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have to agree with everyone. I like to keep mine tied to the bow and use a small square milk crate. I lost a brand new canyon bag and a mesh bag all to sharp teeth. So, I started a few years back with the milk crate,bucket, bugee combo, it's been a couple of years and it's still around.:)

This post edited by duck doyle 01:18 PM 02/11/2008

·
Registered
403 Posts
I like to start out with the first chum in the bag out of the bucket.
Then when it runs down we set out another bag with chum so we always have a bag in the water at all times. I dont like chunks eather i got a chum grinder this year and it makes a really makes a nice bucket of chum for Ladling just grind and and bunker oil make a real nice slick.

This post edited by FishinAdiction 04:20 PM 02/11/2008

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
FishinAdiction wrote:
I like to start out with the first chum in the bag out of the bucket.
If I am understanding you correctly, you sometimes, or after you blow the 1st pail,.... other pails of chum that follow, the chum that goes in is left in the plastic pail, lid removed??

We remove the chum from all the pails, pails go in the hold, chum goes in the water.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Same here.Bag goes on the same side as the rods so that everything is on the business end.Bag stays in the water,when adding new chum to the bag someone laddles heavy until the switch is made.
paulie

·
Registered
403 Posts
The frist chum we always take out of pail. Then it all depends on the day and the drift some times we will leave the chum in the pail if it is going out to fast. But we are always Ladling
i like the chum we grind much better then what comes out of most pails.

And yes Matt we do take the lids off

·
Registered
201 Posts
B.Attitude wrote:
when adding new chum to the bag someone laddles heavy until the switch is made.
paulie

=hense the two chum bags we take with us- no need to rush the poor guy while he's setting up the next bag ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I attach my 5 gal chum pail to a large boat fender so if we get into a fish we just through it in the water as to not break the slick just in case we lose the fish we go right back to the slick (5 gal pail with a good lid run a 1/2" line through it from top to bottom drill holes all around it with a 1" hole saw awesome chum pail tins of bunker fit in it perfect also i have a awesome idea for a bunker oil dispenser id like to know what all you guys are using to disperse the bunker oil i can get a 1 gal bottle to last 2 full days

tight lines
MAD DOG

·
Registered
201 Posts
MakoMatt wrote:
For the Bunker Oil we just use a spray bottle, and give the ocean a sptitz every now and then.

MakoMatt

on the rare days we use oil we started doing this too- putting oil in with the laddle mix ends up leaving you with a slip n' slide in the ****pit

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Traffic in the slick

Traffic in the slick

It is always good to never break your slick. If a hook pulls you can then get right back into the game with an unbroken slick. However with big threshers more so that makos they tend to circle and stay close to where the hook up occurs. Diving deep and the making starched surface runs.

Any land mind in the slick, AKA Traffic is when Murphy?s Law will surly come into effect. The though of the main line hitting a self deployed object used to mark or maintain the slick during the battle is always a possibility with big fish that are hard to control.

There is no doubt that by leaving the bag behind you maintain a perfect slick to return to as opposed to which can be all over the map. It is a trade off and just something to ponder as we Post through the winter?..and wait for the Return of the Man in the Blue Suit!

Once a good fish is hooked up in the field the motor is start immediately, we rarely move the boat until we have a positive I.D. Once I.D.is confirmed the boat is only moved if we plan on going end game with the fish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.