NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together the electronics for my new Canyon commuter. Any thoughts, recommendations, problems with CMAP same question for Navionics. Additionally, do I need a dual chip set-up(one for inshore to 40 miles out and one for offshore canyons) Is a chip nessecary for the canyons as all the canyons and outlines showup on the underlying map anyway, do i need the additional detail of the chip.

I think my choices are

Navionics $199 each
US674XL US800XL
or
CMAP C312 but I'm not sure of the second chip

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hi :
Before you pick out aall in one system, think about this. If one part goes down out there in the canyons,DO ALL THE REST OF YOUR ELECTRONIC GO OUT TO? Nice idea of putting most of your electronics in ONE box, But....reread above.
Have you figured out the rest of your electronic needs?
I don't think you need special inshore/offshore chips unless you fish lot's of bottom fish .HHMMMMMMM
What size canyon commuter areyou/did you get? That also determins what you may need.
Sorry for all those questions.Give me a shout.
Joe B. ...aka...Ancient mariner
keep your feet dry and catch 'em up.
www.ancientmarinertackle.com

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Joe,

Good to hear from you, I was getting a little worried no one was replying to my question. You got to pick a day to do a BFT run with me. In any event let me clarify. I am actually getting a redundant systen. The new Raythean line a 7" color radar with Map/GPS built-in and a FF with Map/GPS built-in both units will accept chips of either C-Map or Nav.They work in tandem or independant so I can have Radar, Map overlays or if Radar/map/GPS goes out I have FF/Map/GPS.
My specific question is this. Most chips run from inland to 40/50 miles out. After that you lose the detail of the chip, depth, wrecks etc. and only get major names and fathom lines. Because my two units each accepts a chip I can run detail from NYC to Cape Cod and out 40 miles on one and then all the Canyons on the other or from the Canyon mavens is this overkill.

Second, what do the experts like C-Map or Navionics for chip detail, clarity etc. Thanks

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
I don't have a chart plotter on the boat, yet. But if and when I do get one I want all the canyon details. I keep a pretty good chart in my head, but I'm always checking the charts when we're trolling to make sure we cover the right pieces of bottom. A lot of finding fish in the canyons is finding the right temperature break over the right piece of bottom where the upwelling will bring the bait up toward the surface.

·
Registered
525 Posts
CHIPS n CHIPS n CHIPS

Hey Ho :
Lets do it for BFT. Not much longer to go for them.
I was down in N.C. with N.C. George fishing for them inshore. WILD fishing. I still can't believe that you can wack monsters in 60 feet of water. George wacked a few and I got some great ideas on skinny water TUNA fishing when I ran the boat. Lot's of fun.
Tons of YFT out about 20 miles down in N.C. Took them on my lures that I make up. George put me in touch with a commercial who tried them and wacked three KING MACKS about 30 pounds, dressed. I guess they work on just about anything. We'll try them up here to.
Anyway. On your new Canyon Commuter,make sure that the electronics area is DRY. OUCH, that would hurt if it got soaked. If it does get wet. you might want to think of a plastic front piece with air/humidity holes in the back to keep your electronics dry.
I can't talk to Chips on electronics as I don't know enough about them. If you get to Hampton Bays there is a great electronics shop that will give you the right info on that stuff. When you get it installed, I would love to see how it works. I can give you some more of those offshore spots . WE can try them in JUne for some medium to large BFT. Did you get your TUNA permit yet?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No permit yet as boat is coming in from factory today, I hope. Should take about 7 - 10 days to have all electronics, riggers etc. added I hope to be in the water by 5/11. I'll call you in a few weeks

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No permit yet as boat is coming in from factory today, I hope. Should take about 7 - 10 days to have all electronics, riggers etc. added I hope to be in the water by 5/11. I'll call you in a few weeks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.