NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading many posts about very expensive rods and reels.

I would like to let peole know that if you are just starting out, or need a back up, and want something which is high in quality and low in cost, check the discount stores.

Two years ago my wife decided to accompany me on my surfcasting trips. Although I had extra set ups, besides my own, I figured it would be nice if she had her own.

We went to K-mart!!!!! What we bought for $35.00 was a 9 foot, two piece, Abu Garcia graphite medium/heavy action, composite pole(which is rated
for 10-25 lbs test line and 1-3 oz lures.

The reel is a South Bend Condor Graphite(4.5 to 1 ratio) which holds 225 yards of 20 lbs test line.

This set up is VERY light and has been extremely reliable.

I have no qualms about recommending it.

redranger

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Redranger.

A lot of truth to what you say.

That was a very nice way to get your wife involved with your fishing. You made it special for her.

Fishing equipment is like cars. Less expensive and expensive can accomplish the same objective. It is how the objective is accomplished that determines whether someone choses expensive or less expensive.

I have fished with both extremes and caught fish both ways. Economics sometimes plays a part in our choices. There is a big difference driving a $10,000 car and one that sells for over $50,000 even though each will get you from point A to point B.

In my case, I like the better custom rod although I do not put as much importance in an expensive reel. Some people go for both. I have seen some fishermen with expensive reels and less expensive rods. Its all a personal choice and thats what makes the world go round.

Have fun fishing.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.