NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is caught fish safe to eat? I am talking about bluefish and striped bass in the LI area(including NYC, not Manhattan, more like Queens and Brooklyn) and NJ. I am a young angler(just old enough to drink) who caught a few large fish this year and ate them. I heard some fish contain PCB, mercury, and DDT. Will I died if I ate more than a pound of bass and bluefish each day. I still more than 30 pounds of frozen fish.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I agree with Gamakatsu.
Eating fish is healthy, especially when its fresh
& personally caught. I have caught so much fish this year (Striped Bass, Bluefish, Blackfish, Fluke, Flounder, Porgies & Seabass), I eat fish about 4-5 times a week for Lunch/Dinner. I also have a frozen supply for the winter. Zero Carbs & lots of protein. You will actually loose weight eating fish. I am on a low carb diet and fish is the perfect food. Fresh fish, real butter, fresh lemons, fresh garlic = Zero carbs. There is a lot of saltwater out there... Eat more fish!

Surf the Word!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I agree with Gama and Capt. Steve.

A little is (probably) fine for most people, certainly better than a fast food burger every day. Also agree to keep it away from pregnant women and small children (sad to say).

And, while I know blues and bass are highly migratory, I still wouldn't eat a fish out of certain bays no matter what.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
338 Posts
Below are the New York State Guidlines for eating fish. Eating too much fish may NOT be the best idea! Eat Healthy, But Eat Smart!

Tag & Release
Tiderunner

Marine
Marine Waters - The general advisory (eat no more than one meal per week) applies to bluefish and American eel, but not to most other fish from Long Island Sound, Peconic/Gardiners Bays, Block Island Sound, the Lower Bay of New York Harbor, Jamaica Bay, and other Long Island south shore waters.

Marine Striped Bass - Eat no more than one meal (1/2 pound) per month of striped bass taken from New York Harbor and Long Island Sound west of Wading River. Eat no more than one meal (1/2 pound) per week of striped bass taken from Eastern Long Island Sound, Block Island Sound, Jamaica Bay, Peconic/Gardiners Bays, and Long Island South Shore waters. The legal minimum length of marine striped bass is 28".
Marine Crab and Lobsters - The hepatopancreas (liver, mustard, or tomalley) of crabs and lobsters should not be eaten because it has high contaminant levels.

Deformed or Abnormal Fish
The health implications of eating these fish are unknown. Any grossly diseased fish should probably be discarded.

Contaminants in Fish and Wildlife
Long-lasting contaminants, such as PCBs, DDT, and mercury, build up in your body over time. It may take months or years of regularly eating contaminated fish to build up amounts which are a health concern. Health problems which may result from the contaminants found in fish range from small changes in health that are hard to detect to birth defects and cancer. Mothers who eat highly contaminated fish and wildlife for many years before becoming pregnant may have children who are slower to develop and learn. The meal advice in this advisory aims to protect children from these potential developmental problems. Adults are less likely to have health problems at the low levels that affect children.
Some contaminants cause cancer in animals. Your risk of cancer from eating contaminated fish and wildlife cannot be predicted with certainty. Cancer currently affects about one in every three people, primarily due to smoking, diet, and hereditary risk factors. Exposure to contaminants in the fish and wildlife you eat may not increase your cancer risk at all. If you follow this advisory over your lifetime, you will minimize your exposure and reduce whatever cancer risk is associated with these contaminants.

The Federal Government establishes standards for chemical residues in food. When establishing these standards for fish, the Federal Government assumes that people eat about one-half pound of fish each month. The contaminant levels are measured in a skin-on fillet which has not been trimmed; this sample is used in determining whether or not the fish exceeds standards. Fish and wildlife cannot be legally sold if they contain a contaminant at a level greater than its standard. When sportfish from a waterbody contain contaminants at levels greater than the federal standard, the DOH issues a specific advisory.

This message was edited by Tiderunner on 12-22-01 @ 9:56 AM

·
Registered
353 Posts
Frozen Bluefish - yummy!

Sea Lion, while fresh butter does indeed have zero carbs, the saturated fat is VERY bad for your circulatory system (lipids) as well as being fattening. The butter is probably worse than any contaminants in the fish!

Jaiem, interesting! Which bays in particular?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Flounder

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Trying to keep it simple. as a general rule most fish are safe to eat. they all contain trace amts of the nasty stuff. In most cases the larger the fish the higher the concentrations. The worst are large sharks, swordfish and tunas. Large stripers arent great either but they vary a lot depending on where they winter over. Freshwater fish vary depending on where they live. When you fillet and skin the fish you catch take care to remove the dark meat under the laterel line and you will get rid of most of the contaminates.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Maybe safe to eat now but what about when GE dredges up those PCB's? I read somewhere recently its gonna happen and soon. That would suck if the fish become too contaminated afterwards to eat.
Alan

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont think the Federal Government is saiding everything. I think they are hiding something like they are not really serious about the harmful works of cigarettes. So in short, I'm f**k now,:( I have eaten more than the recommended amount! I have already eaten 23 pounds of Blues and Bass.

Why are the warnings focusing the damages of eating Blues and Bass from the New York area for young women and small children? So what will happen to me since I am a young man? Will my sperm be poisoned with the harmful elements of PCB, DDT, and whatever are in the fishes I ate? Will my children be mutants? So that means anyone who ate fishes from most of the Eastern coastline ranging from Florida all the way to Nova Scotia are going to be poisoned?

So what is safe, in my words, not containing any poisons in the animal flesh, to eat? Beef, pork, and chicken, all got steriods shots and vaccinations. All the vegetables like corn, rice, and other food got mutated genes from animals or other living things in them. Even water is not pure water. It got chlorine, PCB, and fertilizers. Should I just move to another planet more like another galaxy to live? Nothing is safe to consume. :(

Why should we stand for all those things that will kill us or our children still be found in everything we need to survive? Since we are all fisherman, we eat the fish we catch, so we are all f**k because our government are taking dirty money from the polluters who polluted our fishing grounds. Some of our government officials are letting it go with weak warnings. Like when they want to say cigarettes are definitely going to kill you now or in the future, and instead says with a weak warning it "may cause cancer, low birth weight in newborns, and...".

Who can I trust to tell the whole story? :(
I am a very pissed fisherman who just found out he and the rest of the family lines will have genetic problems. All those info I mentions(the food parts) were from a science book I study in college.

This message was edited by bluefishmaster on 12-22-01 @ 10:57 PM

·
Registered
404 Posts
as spygull pointed out, cut out the dark red meat on stripers as this contains the greatest concentrations of pollutants. avoid the fatty portions of all fish and animals as toxins are usually stored in fat, which is also unhealthy to your cardiovascular system. eat the smallest stripers the law will permit, as they will have had less opportunity to bioaccumulate toxins.

moderation and variety in all you eat will reduce the rate of exposure to specific toxins and give your body the best chance to eliminate them.

washing down your fish dinner with a couple of budweisers may not protect you, but may make you feel a whole lot better. also not recommended for children and pregnant women.

set,
opinari

·
Registered
338 Posts
The key to eating fish is educated moderation as the advisory states. Remember that beef, pork, chicken sold in this country are farm raised animals. This means that the environment in which they are raised for food is somewhat regulated. Although it may not be a healthy source of food it is probably safer than wild game, such as deer,elk or bear. Saltwater fish i.e. striped bass and bluefish are wild game. The government has little control of where and what it feeds on. PCB's and other toxins are a major problem in stripers and bluefish.

One way of cutting down on the PCB's is to remove the skin and trim around the edges before cooking it. PCB's linger in the fatty area of the fish.
It is for this reason that I keep very little fish and tag most of what I catch.
Fish is a healthy food source as long as you limit the amount you consume.(like anything else)

Eating local bluefish or striped bass 4 to 5 times a week or 23 lbs. in less than a year is probably excessive. It dosen't mean your going to get sick or get cancer. It just means that it may
put you at a higher risk to develop a disease as compared to the rest of the population.
So Eat Healthy, But Eat Smart!
Tag & Release
Tiderunner

This message was edited by Tiderunner on 12-23-01 @ 12:13 AM

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I apologized if I sound too mean or just plain mad! I am a young man who never thought of eating food like fishes I caught will harm me. The government should just make it clear. "Dont eat fish caught in these waters and the species. They will harm your offspring. Cause cancer or death." I am not afraid to know the truth. I did not eat the red part or the skin or sip the juice.

I dont smoke, drink alcohol, nor do I do drugs. I love to fish since I was a little young lad. It is hard to catch a fish and cannot eat it. The reaction to eat the catch is innate. Like a lion kill a zebra. Lion eat the kill.

I dont want to suffer problems when I become a married man with wife and children. I dont want to create mutants. Mutants are not like comic books heros. In real life they are deformed and dont have special powers. They have problems all their life.

Does anyone know what happens to men who ate the catch? I remembered my professor saying that human sperm will carry PCB and diseases like HIV. This is passed on to their offspring(your children).
When young children eat contaminated they will have learning problems and health problems.
When young women including those who have not have childrens yet will have PCB and other poisons in their egg cell(the ovary not from a hen). The milk from human breastfeeding will also have PCB and ... in them. So when both or either one of the sex reproduces, they will passed defected genes in their chromsomes.

Okay, enough of explaining like I'm a professor or scientist. I think you are happy to hear that public school actually produced this smart kid. I remembered all this stuff from high school and college and found some online. :)

This message was edited by bluefishmaster on 12-23-01 @ 8:13 AM

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
wait, he said that cigarettes are bad. I think that is just an excuse for the government to charge more tax dollars... Every one knows that cigatettes are great and the menthol leaves my mouf so minty fresh!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do believed cigarettes are harmful to anyone. I know this due to fact I can write a book of names of dead relatives and friends. I have witness the evil of cigarettes. Cigarettes are from tobacco leaves. Tobacco leaves are not that harmful, it is the chemicals they put in the cigarettes.

If you want to read what really suck about cigarettes go here: http://www.thetruth.com. Be warn if you are a smoker.

It is just my opinion about one of the poison of this society we live in. Poisons everywhere I live.

Mattblazer, I hope you understand this is not typed up to affend you or anyone. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have been a licensed medical professional for over 21 years and I have been fishing since I was 11 years old. I'm 46 now & married. My wife & I do eat striped bass. Although not in massive quanties. We are both healthy right now and so are our adult sons.

My feelings about you eating contaminated fish is this: Yes , you ate a lot of fish this year. However the problem starts with heavy consumption over a period of many years. These PCB's and alike do not cause your genes or chromosomes to change. They may cause birth defects through congenital changes when the child is in utero.(womb)

Women have the greater chance of passing these toxins to the child while pregnant or perhaps when breast feeding. I don't think anyone really knows the true connection. But it would be very wise to limit your consumption.

Smoking on the other hand cost this nation billions and billions of dollars in added health care costs. Did you know that smoking is a major factor in many diseases such as; heart disease, diabetes, cancer, COPD, high blood pressure,early organ failure, etc.

So relax, and cut down on the fish. Remember fish is a good solid source of protein and nutrients, just don't eat it in massive amounts. Like anything else it's about moderation.

I worry more about the dredging of the Hudson which will increase the PCB's in the stripers in the next several generations. It's a catch 22. They maybe opening Pandora's box, but we need to finally eliminate this stuff for future contamination. Who know's the answer. Just get General Electric to foot the bill.

Happy Holidays to all! Eat Healthy, But Eat Smart!
Tag & Release
Tiderunner

This message was edited by Tiderunner on 12-23-01 @ 9:05 AM

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Bluefishmaster,

The fish here are fine and please don't worry about it. I have literally eaten 100's, perhaps 1000's of pounds of locally caught fish. They are healthier than most of the c**p that you will get at a fish market where much of the fish is imported from countries with lax pollution laws. They are healthier than red meat with it's high levels of saturated fat and known carcinogens. They are healthier for you than most chicken with it's trace amounts of antibiotics and growth hormones that the farmers feed them. All this talk of eating fish has made me hungry, pass the lemon wedges please...

Gamakatsu

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
I think the guidelines for NY fish consumption are a loose recomendation ( not to be ignored) but also to be taken with a grain of salt. Being of reasonable intelligence, I try not to eat large amounts of fish caught in the outflow of the hudson river ( sands point to kennedy airport), but bear in mind that the water is changed every time the tide goes up and down. This is my opinion and I would not worry about 25 pounds of fish consumed over several months, not to mention that most people dont eat the dark line of meat which does infact contain the bulk of the oils, fats and toxins present in the fish.
So dont sweat some frozen fish, and most importantly respect our waters.
Matt

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Hi Flounder.

I'd rather not post the names of the spots. I don't want to open a can of worms. Such has happened before when people say they won't eat fish from a specific bay/area etc.

Next time we get together remind me of this subject and we'll talk about it then.

Happy Holidays!

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.