NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the Cat 3116 has had many performance problems and I was wondering if anyone has knowledge or experience with these engines. I am looking at a used boat with 500 hrs and I would appreciate any feedback you can give me.
thanks,
samjack

THANKS,
REELY HOOKED

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I have twin 350hp 3116 cats with 1400 hours. I have had the boat about a year. I'm the second owner. At first the cats didn't run that good.
Changed all filters and air seps. Made sure the fuel was clean and transfer valves were free and clear. There was a lot of crap in the fuel valves.
Presently they are running strong with no trouble.
What specific problems are you talking about ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problems regarding Cat3116 were not specific in nature, only general comments that there have been mechanical issues over the history of the engines.Did you have your boat surveyed before purchase? Would that have included an oil sample test? If so, did you know the engines needed minor tweaking before purchase? Did the surveyor give you any confidence in the engine history before you bought it? Pls let me know. I appreciate your feedback

THANKS,
REELY HOOKED

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Motors were surveyed, tuned and adjusted. Oil samples were taken and showed nothing alarming. Periodically oil samples should be taken to establish any trends. This proceedure would enable you to correct a problem prior to complete failure. NO guaranties on a used boat. Keep some extra cash on hand. Remember a boat is a whole in the water you pour money into.
LARRY

·
Registered
235 Posts
ask enough people and they will find something wtrong with any brand. as long a diesel engine is not "TURBOED OUT" like a 260 hp 4 clyinder that origanally was designed for half that HP a diesel engine is a very relable beast any brand.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Tunabab is all wet on this one. Steer clear of this engine. It is a dog, and probably has problems even with only 500 hours. Speak to a reliable marine diesel mechanic prior to purchasing. I believe the heads are the problem with cracking, and poor piston design.

·
Registered
778 Posts
my good friend has this motor in a 28 foot downeaster with 2500 hours on it 4 years old all he has seen is a turbo bearing failure other then that the motor is still going strong

tight lines...Anthony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.