NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I need some advice from you old salts. I'm looking to purchase a brand new casting reel. I would first like to say ,I have never used one before nor do I actually know how they work. I would like a reel that is fairly EZ to learn on , YET I won't out-grow so quickly. I would be using to haul bait off the long island shore-line , fishing off of bridges and off boats. Quality is very important to me, but i don't want to go bankrupt with the price either (price range $150- $200 ) ..... I would be fishing for stripers, blues, blacks, fluke and flounder with this reel. I would appreciate any suggestions that you fellas have.
THANK YOU

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
I would check out Shimano's Calcutta 400,its cost is $199.00 but I feel its worth every penny. It will handle all the fish you mentioned and it is very easy to cast.
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
yoyoo,

An ABU 7000 series reel is a good one to start with and can be used for many applications from surf fishing to party boats.

There are many choices. Stay away from the ones intended for fresh water use since they may not hold up in the salt

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
803 Posts
B Atitudes recommendation is solid. To that I would add the 700 which is slightly beefier ( the best Striper,Blues, Black reel around. I took a 40lb YFT on that reel with 50lb Power Pro. Slightly more money But i got mine at Sports Authority on a holiday sale for about 200 with tax. My other recommendation is the Penn 975 with levelwind (they have 3 versions out now with LW, w/o LW, and a new one witha regular drag) in any event this is a fine reel for Stripers and Blues and is a few ounces lighter than the others and would work great for fluke and flounder. You dont mention anything about rods. Do you have one and need a new reel or are you purchasing that as well. From your post It sounds like you want one reel for all your inshore needs. If thats the case try to find a rod you like, perhaps a 6'6 medium weight and put the reels on. Does it feel balanced is it comfortable etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the good advice fellas,
NOW, would anyone be able to suggest a used casting reel that would be comparable to the ones mentioned above? I see so many casting reels being auctioned off on Ebay, I'm thinking maybe I should purchase one of these to start out with...
what do you guys think ? Any advice would be appreciated.........

Blue Ayes ...
I already have a 10 foot medium/heavy ugly stick that I would use to haul out bait. But I don't have a small bridge /boat rod yet... I was thinking something in the same range as you had mentioned (6'6)... I've seen some small ugly sticks from 6'-7'medium/heavy.. Do you think they would be appropriate? Or could you suggest something else ...

Thanks for all your help................

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
The Penn Squidder and Squidder Jr. are good reels for both casting and boat fishing.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.