NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I believe Al is out and about fishing somewhere so I'll try and help(read confuse) ya some.
Well the first question would be what type of baitfish will you be trying for? That will determine the size of the mesh needed. I think the majority of cast nets readily available are 3/8". If you're after smaller bait like spearing you might want to go with the 1/4". I think Betts is one of the most common brands out there. A 4ft is good to start with. Once you get proficient at throwing it I'd move up to a 6 or 7ft net. ALWAYS put extra rope on it especially when throwing from a pier/dock.
Also, be careful when throwing it from a boat and hitting a school of large bunker dead on...that net can get very heavy and pull you overboard if you're not careful...heehee ;)

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
Go to Calusa.com and you can watch a video about selecting the right net and how to throw one as well. I bought one two years ago that I only got to use a couple of times last year. 3/8 inch mesh let the spearing right through. Now the thing has taken a set from being wrapped up and it is ruined. I think I will stick with the sein.

·
Registered
30 Posts
cast net

Use the biggest net you can physically handle,both in size and weight,this will allow you to efficiently aquire bait,as for the afermentioned report about a set in his net try soaking the net in fabric softener,this should release the memory good luck KAREN ANN CHARTERS

·
Registered
620 Posts
After every season I also soak all dock lines. fender lines, fly gaff line etc... in a 5 gal bucket with warm water and fabric softner change water once or twice and swish lines around gets out salt, dirt lines are soft and white. (not my trick, learned it from Motorboating magazine)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doughboy
Those nets are on the pricey side..
How about the net I mentiond earlier?
The Red Wolf..
This one cost about 30. I think, but no more then 50 bucks.
Would anyone know if they are any good?

-Steve

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have one of the cheap-o cast nets. I'm not sure of the brand, but it was a bout 30 bucks. I haven't used it too often (since I never could really get the hang of throwing it...LOL), but it's still in really good shape. I've never really taken care of it (never washed it off after using it, or anything like that), and it still looks as good as when I bought it.
I checked out the video on the website, and it looks pretty easy using their method to throw it. Hope fully I could get the hang of it this year. ;)
Anyway, as far as I can tell, the cheap-o nets hold up pretty good. If you take care of it, I'm sure that it will last even longer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Practice makes perfect I guess..

I have one of those little nets which requires 2 people, one person would tie the bottom to the ankle and hold on to the top and it takes team work to walk through the water.. The bad thing is the tie around the ankle leaves a pretty bright red mark on the skin and it gets though at times..
I think I might try the net for 30 bucks.
Let me know how you do with your net.. I've read a bunch of reports with bait in the water these past few days..

-Steve

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gottog- I'm thinking about getting a cast net. The initial post up top was the one I was planning to get.
I've never had one.
I'm not too sure what the net I have now is called.. But it takes 2 people to use the net.

The cast net you have, is it easy to use?
Could it be used off of the beach or You have to be elevated from the water?

-Steve

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Its easier to use from an elevated blatform, whether it be a pier or boat. I've used it from the beach with some success. It takes ALOT of practice and sometimes I still throw it like it was my first time. LOL

If you're just going to start out learning how to throw a cast net I'd go with a smaller one say 4 or 5 ft diameter one. Those too are available at Sports Authority and cost around $20 to $30. Sometimes you can find them mis-priced ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the net from Sports Authority for 20 bucks. Not too bad.. They only had one size though, the 3/8.. I got the 5 footer..
I see doughboy had trouble with spearing.
Is this with only the baby bait? I hope I bought the right one since I started to soak the net.
Hopefully I will run into big spearing..

-Steve

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
Thanks again for the fabric softener tip!

I just soaked the net and it is better than new. I didn't think that stuff would penetrate the mono, but it worked like a charm. I look forward to trying it. Now if we just had some big bait schools around.

Steve, did you check out the how to throw video on the Calusa site. It is very good and really helps. If not here is the link. (it is a real player file)

http://65.115.134.45:8080/ramgen/Calusa_dsl.rm

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
Storing the net.

Now are there any recommendations on how to store it so that it doesn't happen again. I used to let it hang and straighten out and them roll it all up on itself in a tight ball. That caused the problem.

Should I just hang it from its collar or from the weights to keep the tension off of it.

Or another way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey there doughboy

I tried to watch the clip but couldn't.. My PC is too slow, but I was listening.. I'm still not too sure how to use the thing, but have a basic idea.

After coiling the rope I have to grab a 3rd of the net in one hand (left) then with the other hand split the net in half and rest one side over my thumb (left).. then grab the weight (right) and toss.. Is this close??? I know my explaining may be a bit confusing..

But, as for storing the net, I would ball it back up like the way you bought it..
-All the weights together and wrap it into the net in a nice ball.. If you don't have the original box, a simple bag should do...

-Steve

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
Sorry that link doesn't work for you. Your explaination sounds about right, but it is tough to tell. I had to watch the thing a few times while figuring it out in the living room.

I was storing the net that way and I think that is what caused the problem in the first place. Maybe that is something I will just have to deal with once in a while. For now, I wraped a bungee around the bottom of the net and hung it upside down in the carport. I'll se if that works.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.