NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some instruction on the correct casting method to cast wood plugs. I seem to end up with whatever I toss [ except for smilin' bills] landing to my right. I'm using a 9' Lami w/ Penn 5500 reel & normally use 2oz lures. I'm close to giving up using wooden lures because I have such a hard time casting them. After I release my line it seems as though there is alot of slack hanging in the air. Please help!!

TY :{

RJC

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had a similar problem with almost any plug, I always ended up going to the right and had lots of line out it seemed.

What I found works for me is that I now aim slightly to the left of where I want to throw and it will usually end up there and just as the plug is about 5-6 feet from the water I try to grab any slack so it kinda yanks it down stiffly in it's spot without much line loose.

I don't know if this helps, but this is what works for me cause I was always casting plugs way to my right and leaving lots of slack in the line.

BTW, I'm using a Penn Big Game 11ft Surf Rod and a Penn 9500 and usually use 2-4oz lures, and on occasion a 6-8oz lure.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
The difficulty I'm having is that my cast gets waaaay too much verticle arch. That is it's a real up and over cast, very hyperbolic, not a straight line. That's fine for good conditions but in wind it reduces distance and puts a lot of slack in the line before I can take it up.

I'm sure it's just a bad habit I need to unlearn but not sure how. :(

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
724 Posts
Showing someone how to cast and writing about it are two very different things--but here goes.First you are almost always are going to get slack after a cast -no matter what your throwing.You just need to reel the slack in as fast as you can until you feel your lure -then retrive the lure at the appropriate speed. When Im working with a beginer caster I tell them not to attempt to load the rod on the back cast-in fact I tell them not to attempt to load the rod at all as they will need to get the right mechanics down first.Two common mistakes I find are1.Butting your castng finger against the rod or placing the line in the crease of your finger instead of the tip. This will cause the lure to go way up in the air--I always yell look out for the morters--B/c thats what happens -way up then straight down.Keep your line on the tip of your finger and do not butt your finger agaist the rod and behold --what a difference. 2.People tend to twist their rod side ways somewhere during the cast. This will cause your lure to go to the right- if your a righty, and to the left if your a lefty. What you need to to is concentrate on begining your cast with your reel facing straight down at the beach at the begining of the cast-then going straght up while loading the rod and straight back down on the follow through. DO NOT TWIST the rod at any time. Sometimes a person will not even know their doing it b/c they have gotten into that bad habit--so it's best if you have a buddy that can watch you. I recommend that you go slow. SLOW SLOW SLOW. Everybody wants to cast it out a million yards--go slow--you will get plenty of distance. What I mean by slow is dont try to load the rod on the back cast. Simply put the rod behind you with the reel facing straight up to the sky. The weight of the plug already has the rod loaded. Stop! Be sure that your left hand is close to the butt of the rod, and your right casting finger is not butted against the rod, and the line is on your finger tip.Now make your cast by whipng the rod forward--dont try to whip it as hard as you can--nice and easy--you will get some distance and even more as you practice. Release the line between 11 and 12 oclock.Follow through with your left hand near the butt and your reel should be facing the ground. It's a little different casting into a wind but dont twist your rod no matter what. I also give people practice technics to load the rod --but thats for another day. Hope this helped.

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bill....Thanks for the valuable pointers. One question..what do you mean by not holding your casting finger against the rod? It seems to me that by doing that, the line will "cast backwards" as you start your motion. Am I missing something? Thanks

·
Registered
724 Posts
Don't pin the line against the rod with your casting finger. Let the line lay on the tip of your casting finger. The weight of the lure will hold the line firmly to your finger. This is very important-- Butting the line against the rod--is the main reason -I have found- that most people throw morters.

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.