NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fished Cashes Ledge for groundfish recently? I've never fished there before and I have an overnight trip scheduled for July on the American Classic out of Lynn, MA. Any advice from those who have done this before? I have fished Georges Bank many times and I assume it is very similar.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
I don't see much difference between Georges Bank trip and Cashes Ledge trip except they sometimes like to anchor on Cashes Ledge. I expect you catch a lot of pollock. Sometimes it is very hard to get down to the bottom without hooking a pollock. Actually when I went Cashes Ledge with Capt. Lew from Newburyport, MA many years ago, A guy next to me caught a IGFA record pollock.
I heard that Capt. Jim of the American Classic has been hospitalized. Please check with them whether there is any change. He is a very good captain and the boat is big and fast. Good luck.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Kilsong,

Thanks for the heads-up but I'm told the Capt. is ok but not running the boat himself. The American Classic website says the boat can do 36 kts. Is this possible for a 100' party boat? You're talking some serious speed here. I've been on some fast ones (Doris Mae, NJ and the Helen-H up in Mass.) but 36 kts? Hope its true. Ought to be a fun ride. Good fishing.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Its pretty much the same as Georges except the bottom is rougher. Where Georges itself is kind of a gentally sloping platue, Cashes is an under water mountain range. It has a lot more edges and drops to hang a jig on. If the weather allows I'm heading there tonight on the Yankee Capts.

As far as the American Classic being capable of 36KT, maybe it is but don't expect that to be its cruising speed. Something in the 10-15KT range is more likely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.