NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
For what it's worth - I called American Airlines (last month) with that question and they told me that rods would need to be checked.

(Found a great, heavy-duty case on eAngler that will safely carry four rods)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I tried carrying on my 3-piece flyrod on a Continental flight from NWK to LAX in November and had to check it in. They also made me check in my reels; security claimed that I could tie up passengers and crew with the line!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Most airlines will provide you with a box for checking the items thru as baggage.Since 9/11, they are parinoid! But I would rather fly safe, they are only doing what they should have been doing for years....

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
A good customer of our who goes to Costa Rica eachmonth told me that since 9/11 he can't carry his 4 piece rods on any more.

My concern is for damage and theft. Even pre-9/11 there was ample damage and theft of tackle,not to mention lost and misdirected baggage. Now I'm even more concerned. Many of the places I travel (and want to go) if I don't have my tackle on day 1 I'm out thousands of dollars in fishing time. And you can't easily (and cheaply!) get replacement tackle.

While few in the airlines or government will cry over the wowes of sportfishermen, I'm sure the same can be said for photographers and film makers, golfers and anyone who travels with valuable bulky equipment since 9/11.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

G

·
something i have done since 9/11 is to fed ex my gear to my destination a week or so ahead of time.....this way it gives me plenty of time to see that it has arrived and if not i can send additional gear.....it is pricey but it beats the fact that airline baggage may get stolen or damaged....this way i know if it has arrived in one piece and all is well......

capt jack

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I e-mailed Jetblue and got a response within 20 minutes! They gave me a maybe . . . so I guess its up to the x-ray people. I bought a nice DB Dunn case which has a lock on the zipper. Not enough to deter a determined thief but at least they will need some kind of tool to get it open.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
tuckernut,

I have had good luck buy using the end of the roll that carpets and linoleum comes in from home depo. They will give it to you for free and even cut it on the saw to size. Capt the ends with some more cardboard, add a rope handle (duck taped) and you have a real durable free disposable travel case for your rod. Roll the rods in a old towel (works as a fish rag at destination) to protect them

I figure the more fancy the case, the more likely something will happen to it.

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Capt Jack,

FedEx-ing is fine for domestic travel (though I stilkl have concerns about tackling being lost or stolen at the hotel/motel) but I don't know how practical it is for international travel. Plus there's the issue of sending the items back when you're ready to leave (can FedEx come to the hotel/motel to pick up your stuff?)

Glad to hear that carry-on tackle isn't catagorically denied but definately very "whimmy". Given some of the stories I've heard/read about over zealous security people still seems very chancey. :(

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.