NorEast Fishing Forum banner

CARP

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  togmaster 
#1 ·
I am a unexperienced carp fisherman who wants to get better. i fish at belmont lake in long island, its on exit 38 on the southern state parkway. I use egg bagel as bait. I set up 2 rods with 2 hook rigs and a 2-3 oz weight on the end on the rig. I cast out and wait. Some days I would catch 4 to 6 fish and some days i catch nothing. I want to be more consistent and catch bigger fish. The biggest fish I caught at belmount lake was 8 pounds.

#2 ·
carp

sounds like a job for "crash". it appears that he's the local (ny) carp expert in here dude... hope he responds for you...but from my own carp experiences from nyc.. is this.. corn corn corn, use it love it. plus sometimes (i dont know how shallow belmont lake is) you can see the carp meandering thru the shallows rooting around for food.. if you ever see that get yer bait in there, and hang on to your rod, one other tip about schooling carp, is the love to suk things off the surface..if you can get a small boat on that lake and spot the carp or chum them in close you can cast out a weightless peice of bread ie: breaded hook, four foot leader to bobber..the bread floats and the carp suks it down..well its supposed to work in theory anyway..good luck

#3 ·
Carp Methods

Great, now I'm "known" for my carping abilities...:):)

Grouse got it, corn. Spring time is corn time, heck, so is the other three seasons too! "Seed", chum, toss a few around, target a shallow feeding area, wait a bit, and then start fishn. You have to be quick with you lines though, if they feel ya, they'll spit it real quick and be gone.

BUT, other baits can give you the "something differnt" to wrassel with a real big one.

Worms are a good all around bait, but you'll catch more then carp, espescially if theres bullheads around. Dough baits work, as you already know. I'll post my recipe for a great dough bait at the bottom of this.

Heres a monster carp bait..dead crawfish. That ones a summer/fall bait that absolutly gets the big ones drooling.

Use light wieghts and avoid terminal tackle (swivles, three ways, ect...) the less stuff the better.

Carp have excellent eyes and can spot something not right a mile away. Florocarbons and mono lines or leaders are a must, AVOID BRAID near the hook.

Heres the recipe:

2 cups shredded wheat
1 can of whole kernel corn
1 dozen nightcrawlers
Milk

Mix and add small amounts of milk untill it is a thick paste, make into quater size balls when ready to place on hook.

Keep in the fridge. (Just dont let the wife find it!)

Good luck!!

#5 ·
Westchester?

I'm in Brooklyn, but I do goto Westchester ALOT!

The Reservoirs have some HUGE carp in them, but because of the size of them, it can be tough to locate feeding fish.

I look for small to medium sized, swampy lakes with a soft bottom. You'd be surprised as to how many lakes there are in westchester that fit that bill!!

So who's up for another attempt at a carp party?

#6 ·
crash

hey crash im in staten island, but will be moving upstate in a couple of weeks.. was just out earlier today jogging thru clove lakes park.. guess what? saw carp slurping what appeared to be leaves and pollen spores off the surface.. like 20 feet from shore!.. i just sat there an watched them.. thinking about my white bread floating on the surface idea.. there little rubbery lips were up out of the water just slurpin sssshhhhlluuurrppp.. lol anyway.. i wanted to run home an grab my rod or try with a flyrod, but my wife has me packing up the house here lol.. just thougt id pass it along!!

#8 ·
Go north..

I try to "get away" as far as I can usually. SO I head north to westchester, putnam, orange and rockland counties. I spend alot of time up there.

Get some GOOD maps of those counties and study, study, study!!!

So I'll ask agian, you guys interested in getting together and putting a hurtn on some big carps?

#10 ·
I fish carp alot on the island.Floating bread really does the job for me.What i found is you have to keep the hooks on the small side.I like a #6 bait holder,fold the crust of the bread so you can pass the hook through it twice.Line should be no more then 8lb test.A medium spinning tackle is my choice.Carp are an intelligent fish with good eye sight.If they see or bump the line they are gone.Carp also learn rather quickly.If they were caught on a paticular bait they will avoid that bait for some time to come.A 20lb carp is several years old and has been conditioned to fishing pressure.Especially on the island,with so many fishermen on small bodies of water.Massapequa Res. is one place i have noticed a decline in large carp in the last 5 years.And the fish that are there are smart!

#14 ·
Mommas Carp Recipe

One whole carp, gutted, trimmed and scaled.
2lbs of potatoes
1lb of carrots
2 onions
1/2lb of celery
dash of salt
dash of pepper
1 cup of olive oil

Place carp on 14x24 2" thick OAK board

Dice potatoes, carrots, celery and onions into small cubes, Stuff into carp. Place extra around and ontop of carp.

Season with salt and pepper

Place Board with carp in 350 degree, preheated, oven

Bake for 30 min.

Remove from oven, baste with olive oil, turn board 180 degrees, and place back in oven, turn heat upto 400 degrees.

Bake for 30 min.

Remove from oven, let board cool.

THROW CARP AWAY AND EAT THE FRIGGN BOARD!!

#17 ·
want big carp...?head north

want big carp...?? then head north to
sullivan county, swinging bridge res.
home of monster carp. from state launch
ramp take heading of 2'oclock and go
into white lake cove. go in about 50 yards from entry point of cove and fish
the right hand side going in. you will see the carp's backs out of the water get up onto shore as close as you can.
good recipe: crushed corn flakes, can
or bottle of strawberry soda, can of kernal corn, package of the cheap sour
dough bisqits you pop open and put in the oven on a cookie sheet. mix all together, stay on thick, pasty side form
into small balls and around your hook. toss in and get ready for a fight....
best of luck

#18 ·
Hey Crash,
I have a jewish buddy who's parents will take any carp I come across as long as it's from clean water. I'm not sure but I think they make fish cakes or something with them. They say they're delicious. This year I'm gonna try them. I'll let you know how they are.

#19 ·
Forty years ago I was an avid carp fisherman with my dad up in the Croton resevoir system. We used to bring home thirty pounders weekly. It was like having the D train on your line. I was spooled more than once and was knocked over several times by tail slapping carp I had netted.
A far as cooking them I have no recipe for PCB and Dioxin. Carp have to be flushed of the muddy crap (notice how close carp is to crap) they have been eating. We used to keep them alive in a wadding poolin the backyard of our summer home in Mohegan Lake and feed them corn. It did a great deal for the flavor. I would then bring home some pike or pickerel and my grandmother would make gefilte fish. It tasted better when I was ignorant of DDT, PCB and DIoxin. I still have my Mitchell 300 from those days.

#20 ·
Forty years ago I was an avid carp fisherman with my dad up in the Croton resevoir system. We used to bring home thirty pounders weekly. It was like having the D train on your line. I was spooled more than once and was knocked over several times by tail slapping carp I had netted.
A far as cooking them I have no recipe for PCB and Dioxin. Carp have to be flushed of the muddy crap (notice how close carp is to crap) they have been eating. We used to keep them alive in a wadding poolin the backyard of our summer home in Mohegan Lake and feed them corn. It did a great deal for the flavor. I would then bring home some pike or pickerel and my grandmother would make gefilte fish. It tasted better when I was ignorant of DDT, PCB and DIoxin. I still have my Mitchell 300 from those days.

#21 ·
Went Carping today

Hey Crash Went fishing today with my Buddy chris He said you guys were supposed to meet? What happened to you?
I decided to take them to the Warkill for some carp heres the picture of the one we got. Fishing was tough today not many bites . sat was better I think it was the warm Temperatures .
By the way sound slike your a gourment Chef. I just cook regular corn meal and a little maple syrup. Works great. You have to use a 8.oz cup of water 1 8.oz cup corn meal first boil water then put 2 teaspoons of vinilla extract then after the water boils add the corn meal and lower then flame. Keep cooking while mixing till it turns a brighter yellow then knead the dough good and your ready.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.