NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Captains License

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Capt Tom 
#1 ·
Those of you out there who are Capt's, how did you go about it. Did you take Seaschool, study on your own, study on your own and take a review course?

I am planning on taking a Captains course but still taking the exam at the CG.

What do you think is the best choice. I hate to say it, but a acquaintence of mine who runs a Party boat said that by "going to Seaschool you go around the system and it's looked down upon". Just curious for feedback. Except for one comment I heard nothing wrong about Seaschool

#2 ·
Lot of licenses not to many captains

Grady,
I went to Houston Marine 20 years ago. Before you get to far make sure that you can document your sea time. All of the schools today ahve great question data basis, and if you go even with little sea time you can pass the test. But that is all you did!
Having a ticket is a big responsiblity. Did you now that if you are on someones boat and they don't have a ticket and you do you can be responsible. On a police boat a license cop out ranks a chief, although on land he will pay a big price.
I am proud to have my license go for it, but just remember after you have it the learning curve doesn't end.

#3 ·
Thanks Capt. Larry.

I will take a course starting in mid February running through mid MArch, study and take the test in early April.

Most of the time that I logged has been on my personal boat(s). I have spent limited time behind the wheel of a party boat (not as a mate, jsut wheel relief on long range trips).

I understand, the learning process never ends. That is partly one of the reasons why I want to take a course which will in detail show me plotting on a chart, etc. I want to learn as much as possible all the time, especially when it comes to boats and seamanship.

#4 ·
Your Time

Grady,
I believe the six pack ticket is a thing of the past. My ticket was a 50 Ton and the Coast Guard upgrade me to 100 tom Master based on my documented sea time.
The beauty of the license is that it is a great feeling of setting a goal and getting it! Plus once you have it you will do nothing to jeopardize it.
My license served me well when I chartered and who knows maybe again.

#5 ·
Capt. Larry:
"My license served me well when I chartered and who knows maybe again."

As a Coast Guard Licensed Captain your name becomes available to a database, where if the need arises for a "sealift" or "other maritime operation" you could get called to serve (on a voluntary basis).

It does feel good to set a goal, and follow through with it, especially something that is rather demanding.

How does one document seatime on his/her own boat. I have countless trips under my belt just running solo.

#7 ·
Yes that's right.

Grady, Listen to captlarry84 he is giving you very good advice. Log your time it is necessary for you to acquire your license. Like I said in the PM there are many courses to take and each is geared a bit differently, but one thing is for sure you will need to study for the each of the four exam parts! The test is challenging, but make sure you study (I took vacation time from work to study), and use your time wisely during the exam parts.

Good Luck!
Capt. Fred

#9 ·
capt. licence

i recently got my licence through seaschool its a great coarse.if you pass there test you dont have to take the exam at the coast gaurd. it does'nt matter how you get your licence or where you take the test or how well you score. if you pass the test your a captain, period.know what they call a judge with a d averadge in law school?---------your honor!
also when you fill out the sea service form for your time at sea you do not have to present a log .the form is broken up into months and you put your total number of days operating the vesel, average hours underway and the average distance offshore
you may serve as the owner/opoerator of your boat,or operator/deckhand of someone elses boat.the time is counted from your 15th birthday. and all licences require that 90 days of your total experience be within the last 3 years
you need to take a first aid-cpr course ,have a phisical, get fingerprinted and pass a drug test.
if you plan on "using" your captains licence{to charter} you must be enroled in a random drug test program and keep your cpr cert.updated every 3 years or its not legal

#11 ·
GradySailfish,
All good info. I have my license now 12 years (6 pack). Took many classes offered from the US Power Squadron, including the Captain's Test prep course (not offered at all squadrons). I hear Sea school is good, and probably easier to take the test than running to the USCG station in Battery Park. Test is hard, and don't be discouraged if you do not pass all sections on the first time. You can go back and take that section over again (after a period of time). Study hard and often and you should do okay. I use my license but not for chartering fishing trips. PM me for more details.
Capt Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.