NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ton of pictures to post that Capt. Mark and Tom got me and I have been working on them for the past two days but I wanted to get this up immediately to give you a glimpse into what has been under the keel of the Canyon Runner for the past two weeks.

These are the Bluefins that the crew has been working over. In fact I believe they hooked up within seconds of going over this pod. The Northstar fishfinder has been unbelievable all year long but I have to say this might be one of the best shots I've seen on any fishfinder in a long time. Capt. Phil loved it all canyon season and now Capt. Mark is in love with it - particularily when it lights up like this.

I did not feel the need the photoshop out the exact location so catch 'em up boys!!!!!

I also wanted to take this moment to wish everyone Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy and Health New Year!!!!!! We all at Canyon Runner Sport Fishing wish you and yours the best of everything in 2008!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a question pertaing to the 6100 from Northstar. I am getting ready to out fit my new boat. I am using a 6100 for my chartplotter but have been told to go with a furuno vx2 for the sounder/radar as it is a much better unit for that purpose. I am staying away from the new Furuno stuff for now as well. It sounds as though the Canyon Runner captains really like the Northstar. Do they have any complaints when using the 6100 for a sounder, or for radar?

Thanks alot...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Furuno radars and sounders are by far some of the best in my opinion. northstar has one of the best chartplotters on the market, but their radar and sounder just doesn't impress me, though the Canyon Runner boats really swear by them. Some people like other companies better than others. If looking at a multi-function system on your boat, you should look at the Navnet VX 2 system. The new digital fish finders are great, radars are also very good. i previously had the 7 inch screen navnet vx2 and even the 2 kilowatt dome worked very well in pea soup fog. You can get them in 10 inch screens too. Very nice systems.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
NAvnet Vx2

I second boborusky's post. Furuno is the way to go with radar and sounder. Take a walk down a commercial dock, or look at all the partyboats, how many have furuno radars? Probably like 99% of them. Furuno knows how to make an awesome radar. I have the Vx2 2kw. Their sounders are awesome too. However, the gps is ok. Northstar makes the best GPS, imo, so still, the best way to go is to get furuno for radars/sounders/backup Gps, and northstar for the Chartplotter. I think that still, no company makes the best of all three. Simrad also makes a great radar, their sounder is much better than furuno, albeit the price is probably double.

·
Registered
643 Posts
take a look at the definition on the screen of the Canyon Runner's Northstar.

It is pretty hard to make a claim that the Northstar is anything less than an excellent unit.

Would Furuno do a better job displaying the exact same scene???

·
Registered
276 Posts
That is a good point Bennie. It seems that most people are of the same opinion though and that is Northstar makes the best plotter, while Furuno still holds on top for radar/sounder. My question is why? It seems that the Northstar does have excellent clarity. Is it maybe more of a radar issue? Not sure but I will be looking at these units at the boat show. I am definetely going with Northsar for the plotter and just because I like things the same I would like to use there radar/sounder if they are just as good as Furuno.

Thanks for the replies...

·
Registered
276 Posts
The other issue is that Furuno is only making there new Hi-def stuff in 8.4" and 12" screens where as I can get the new 6100 in a 10". My console is set up for two 10" screens. Anyone know any different on the Furuno sizes?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Furuno display sizes

The furuno VX2 comes in 7" and 10", and the i believe the new navnet 3d comes in 8.4 and 12" I don't think i would get the navnet 3D as it is so new(don't even know if they have released it yet?) I think all these new products should be given some time for the companies to work out the kinks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.