NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 33 flybridge blackfin with 375hp Cats and I would like to make a trip to the canyon this summer. Having just bought the boat last august, I have one all important question:

Anyone been to the canyon on a 33 blackfin with 375 cats? Will I have enough fuel?

I hold 340 gallons (say 300 gallons useable) and I gather it is roughly 100 miles out then trolling and running the genset at night and returning. Any first hand experience would be great. My first impression is that I burn about 1.2 gallons per mile so without the genset or trolling I would burn about 240 gallons.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Canyons

Tunacious- You should have plenty of fuel to support your trip, I have been overnight in the canyon in a 31' bertram with 375 cats and almost got killed by a lobster boat but thats another story...we came up short of fuel under montauk light but the capt was pushin real hard and only held 220 gallons....if you set yourself at a good cruise and take a little extra time getting there you will have much better fuel economy and will allow yourself more fuel to use at the fishing grounds rather than steaming to and from, also in a 33' you need to pick your days with great weather cuz what can be a short chop inside can sometimes be downright nasty and dangerous in the canyons with a 5 knot gulfstream current adding to the mix, your best bets from the vineyard are the fishtails and atlantis canyon and maybe veatch's if you think you can make it, also get some up to date accurate sea temp maps and find a good temp break with clean water, that will increase your odds for success, good luck!

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Tunacious,
If you know what you burn you should be able to figure it out with a chart. Running to and from is what burns the fuel, most boats can troll all day on and use almost nothing. I have no idea what your genset burns, but all you need to run it for are the lights.

·
Registered
643 Posts
dude,
if you need to ask whether or not your boat can go to the canyon, you have a long way to go before making such a trip.

learn your boat. learn about seamanship. learn safety.

then make the decision on your own.

no disrepsect. but this is a serious life/death decision.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree with Benny know your boat and make sure everything is in running condition. With 340 gallons of fuel and knowing other canyon jockeys that run to the edge with your boat you should have no problems. I have a 48 sportfisherman that tips the scales just shy of 50,000 lbs and I burn anywhere from 325-350 gallons round trip (200 N/M) including trolling in moderate seas (3-5 feet) and yes I have a flow scan and its right on point +/- 1 gallon. I also run my 15kw generator from the time a leave the dock to the time a return to the dock shutting off for about 2 hours during the night and burn just 10 gallons. I personally think you should have no problems. Just give the boat a shakedown before making the run.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bennie, Dude you should know your audience before..

Bennie,

It must be nice to have the incredible insight that you have. But, one quick piece of advice, don't jump to conclusions so quickly.

As I said in my post, I just got THIS boat last year. I didn't start boating/offshore fishing last year. I've fished from the the Banana bouy to BB bouy to Jeffries and many places between. And, having my masters licence for the past 10 years and chartering offshore I think I've got the saftey, seamanship and respect for the ocean. So I guess I have to return to my original post and thank the gentleman who stated useable facts about the 33 blackfin instead of your know it all useless comment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.