NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Alberto,

All the men in the family decided it was going to be a fishing Christmas, so all we're getting is fishing gear.

My job is the reel for my uncles 6'6" boat rod, it's line rating is 20-50#.

He will be using the pole/reel for floundering in the spring, and Porgy, Sea Bass, Tog in the fall.

I've been looking at the Penn 330GTi, Penn 114H Special Senator 6/0, and the Daiwa Sealine X SL-X50HV.

I am leaning towards getting him the Daiwa because he wants to be able to throw on 50lb mono when he feels it's warranted(He usually sticks with 40lb). But on the other hand the Special Senator can carry almost 300 yards more of 50lb mono. I know he usually hits the local wrecks and reefs so I don't think he needs the extra 300 yards.

What do you think would be a good reel? Any opinions?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
jmc91881

First of all, there is nothing better than a fishy Christmas. ;)
Now, to answer your question, I am a strong believer in choosing the right equipment for the right species.

Based of your question? Your uncle is targeting flounder in the spring, Porgy, Seabass and Tog in the fall. All on the same rod? Unless you planning ocean deep wreck fishing, I don?t think your uncle?s 6?6? rod will do the right job for those species. Why? Because the flounder and porgy fishing requires a soft rod. Seabass and tog requires a beefier (more torque) rod. Now I am not trying to say that you are not able to catch all those species on one rod? I am just saying that you are not getting the maximum joy out of the species.

Anyway, as far as reel is concerned, you have done your homework and you are on the right track! Either reel is good? but I suggest a lighter outfit since it?s going to fit on a 6?6? boat rod.

Just wondering? Is he planning to use braid line? Also, can you give me more specifics about the rod (graphite, glass, brand, etc)?

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He will have two rods after this Christmas.... His 6'6" is graphite and a beast.... The new rod he is getting is 5'9" Seeker Lite Saltwater Graphite and S Glass, 10-25#. Have never used a Seeker before, but have heard they are decent rods. Just don't know what S-Glass is and how it will handle... He'll only be using braid on the 6'6", but mono on the other rod.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
jmc91881
Good... That's the answers I was looking for!

The S Glass is a much lighter/softer rod that is excellent for feeling the flounder's soft touch.
It is also great for porgies since porgies have a tendency to constantly pump the rod during their fights. This rod is very forgiven and it will prevent the fish from ripping their mouths of the hook. In my opinion, a mono line is the ideal line for those species!

As for the 6'6" boat rod... that is a much stiffer rod that will give enough torch to pull those bottom critters (tog and seabass) off the bottom! Given that, the braid line is the best application!

?Crazy? Alberto

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.