NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
343 Posts
My education was in communications, so the information MAY be of use. AMPLIFIED Antennas work well on Long Island. Avoid "Omnidirectional" antennas, they are designed not to "fade" as you take turns and such ...more for a limo with the TV in the back. Adjustable? ALL Antennas are "adjustable". You circle your camper until you get the best picture. Perhaps this is a classification I am unfamiliar with. "The more you spend"? I think not. Perhaps you can rule out the cheapies, say the bottom 30% in price, but you can bet the most expensive is NOT the "best". You really have to ask different campers.

Flounder

· Registered
343 Posts
There are most assuredly rotors that are operated remotely.
They are heavy, and usually require the antenna be permanent.
If you simply put two brackets on the side, you can set up
your antenna when you arrive, AND turn it by the ARMSTRONG method.
I also never heard of a 12v rotor, the ones I've seen need 110VAC.
(That doesn't mean they don't exist)
Same antenna, Radio Shack has a cheap rotor.

If only it were that simple!
Multipath reception often creates "dead" spots.
You would have to creep along and watch the picture.
Of course, this assumes the antenna is pointed the right way to begin with!

"Circling the wagons" and the preamp/amplifier is as good as anything else out there!
If you don't like the way you end up facing, you could always climb up and turn the antenna once! I favor the "ARMSTRONG" method. It follows the" KISS" principle!

Flounder

· Registered
148 Posts
I have the type that mounts on the back or side .You push it up and it unfolds out of the tube,turn to adjust.The amp is plugged in inside the camper.I get great receptionon all local channels,altjough 2 is a little fuzzy.About 39.00.I dont remember the manu.and my campers covered,Ill get it later.Ive ha the motorized rotor tyeuntil a tree branch permenraly adjusted it for me.I am a great believer in the KISS method

This message was edited by [email protected] on 2-8-02 @ 9:38 AM

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks hagar. I have seen the antenna in a tube on campers before. I'll look up Wineguard. Does yours have a 300 ohm parallel lead or 75 ohm coaxial cable? Because of what happened to your rotator losing an argument with a tree, I think I'll mount mine in the back of the camper.

· Registered
264 Posts
I also have a Wineguard, you crank it from inside. First you raise it then you turn a ring that turns direction. I get more channels and better reception on the beach than at home with my Radio Shack twin beam. I'd check out Journeytime Trailers in Selden, those guys Bob and Jerry are great. Charlie ovr there is the best RV mechanic around.
JMHO
Shag

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.