NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The petition

WE, THE PEOPLE, legal residents of the United States and members of the commercial fishing community, to achieve a more sustainable fishery and fishing industry, request formal congressional oversight hearings on the National Marine Fisheries Service?s (NMFS) stewardship, which we find to be grossly deficient, causing severe economic harm, and in which we proclaim our vote of no confidence.

Fishery resource assessments, diligently conducted by marine scientists, are only part of the data equation needed to establish credible optimum yield estimates and develop true ecosystem based management. Marine fisheries, due to their primitive nature and extreme sensitivity to climatic changes, are at the vanguard of global warming economic impact.

NMFS has failed to promulgate any comprehensive methodology for assessing the impacts of such environmental variability on reproductive patterns, migration routes and ecosystem relationships. NMFS instead has placed the entire onus of resource depletion on commercial fishermen with constraints recklessly causing severe harm and suffering to the fishing community. Fishermen, who have obeyed NMFS regulations, now find themselves and their fishing communities on the brink of economic disaster.

Federal court recently has rebuked our government for its gross lack of comprehensively addressing the impacts of global warming, and as corroborated in a September 2007 report by the Government Accountability Office. U.S. fisheries already must operate in an unfair competitive arena of fisheries subsidized by other nations, from where imports now greatly surpass U.S. harvests. Our fisheries no longer can sustain more elitist federal disregard. That the U.S. demands the destructive discard of all inadvertent by-catch in the face of world hunger only manifests a nation?s arrogance. NMFS?s expedited resource recovery plans will turn the small fisherman, unable financially to sustain more constraints without due compensation, inhumanely into the ultimate by-catch.

Without comprehensive assessments on potential environmental change impacts on marine fisheries, optimum yields must not be lowered without providing equal compensation to affected fishing communities. The government legally cannot have it both ways, however in the absence of comprehensive impact data, compensation also cannot be ascertained. Historical data and resource assessments no longer are sufficient to meet baseline scientific requirements to substantiate NMFS?s recovery plans.

No industry could reasonably operate in a business manner under such a constant barrage of abrupt emergency actions and regulatory changes by NMFS for over a decade. Immediate congressional oversight of NMFS?s assessment methodology, not its simple consideration of environmental variability, is the next logical action to the findings of the federal court and the GAO. Taking no action only would condone the present suffering of our fishing communities and set dangerous federal precedent for placing other sectors of our nation?s agricultural communities in similar jeopardy of economic distress and increased foreign dependence. We trust our congressional representatives to have both the will and the wisdom to take rightful action and stop this bleeding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Thats pretty good J.R..I assume you signed the petition.I never cared to get compensated for anything or free money as they may call it.But theses people really piss me off.Their science is flawed,everybody knows it.They create paper jobs for themselves.**** if they don't have a problem to address they don't have a job right?It has gotten to a point where you can not make a logical business decision any more,because you never know how they are going to screw you next.As far as compensation goes,the government bails out airlines,auto manufactures,and pays farmers not to grow certain crops.So i guess why should'nt we be compensated.I'd rather just go fishing but these people have been in my pocket to long.If i wanted to get rich i would not have gone fishin that is a given,but don't i have the right to make decent living at it?I'm sure somebody will reply something about the pony express riders,buffalo hunters,market gunners,etc...so bring it.It's in the MSA that they must look into economic impacts of the fishing communities.Can you tell me of one time that they have,and addressed it properly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Rob-

yeah I'm surprised it took so long, to be frank. They've really made a mess of everything, it's like living an insane nightmare the way things have gotten. They have us killing fish we can't sell... and not letting us land dogfish...whoo boy
I just hope that a lot is made of this and the major media picks up on it and more folks find out whats really going on out here.

As far as whether this will accomplish anything....?

Theres always hope...too bad hope won't fill your tank or feed your kids.

Something the folks at NMFS just don't seem to get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the CFN article:
"According to Gene Soccolich, strategic adviser for the grassroots group, the plan was to gather signatures and then submit the petition to the area?s local congressional delegation, including US Sens. Ted Kennedy (D-MA) and John Kerry (D-MA) and US Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA)."

I really wish we could change those names.

3 laughingstocks and they are all from my state:(:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
I can see it now

"Short and long term climate variability is a significant concern affecting recruitment in many fish stock. Because the direct effects cannot be measured with any accurately, it is suggested that a more precautionary approach be applied to quota setting in most North East fisheries"

(in short, we don't know. Nobody's going to know anytime soon, let's take an extra 20% off the top to be on the safe side)

Brilliant :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've decided...just for me, that I will no longer respond to anything that anyone who insists on remaining anonymous writes , here or on any other DB.

If you can't step up and say hi fellas My name is _____
then you cannot be taken seriously.....I might respond to stuff in the lounge areas but thats it.....I'm tired of the anonymous BS.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14 Posts
loligo wrote:
I've decided...just for me, that I will no longer respond to anything that anyone who insists on remaining anonymous writes , here or on any other DB.

If you can't step up and say hi fellas My name is _____
then you cannot be taken seriously.....I might respond to stuff in the lounge areas but thats it.....I'm tired of the anonymous BS.

OK, start the show. I'd be willing to bet the ranch that your birth certificate does not read logilo. Put up or shut up, tough guy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Better get some new sneakers kid........

NHCaper wrote:
]

OK, start the show. I'd be willing to bet the ranch that your birth certificate does not read logilo. Put up or shut up, tough guy!


From when I was first here-http://www.noreast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?topic_ID=77558&page=3



From just recently.....http://www.noreast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?topic_ID=100842&page=4

"I'm John Rice, I was fishing on the green conch boat (mate) and I have a blue F-150 and a 21 Alcar I fish from Falmouth most of the summer......I'm guessing we've met, no? "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
loligo wrote:
I've decided...just for me, that I will no longer respond to anything that anyone who insists on remaining anonymous writes , here or on any other DB.

If you can't step up and say hi fellas My name is _____
then you cannot be taken seriously.....I might respond to stuff in the lounge areas but thats it.....I'm tired of the anonymous BS.

What ever works for you


Personally I don't need a lengthy explanation on who someone is or what they like in their coffee to understand what they post, or to understand where they are coming from.

As I said earlier I find it pretty funny when people get attacked for having questions or an opinion contrary to "the group". Because with out people who might think differently then you, your ideas and thoughts never get a chance to be tested in debate.

And as we all know, debate isn't about making the other person feel bad. It's about getting your argument across and convincing people who might have a different opinion.

In real life, for your argument to "win" many times you will have to convince people you don't know that your argument is correct. All without knowing what they had for breakfast that morning, or even their name, occupation, or address


So ignore away buddy :rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74,095 Posts
loligo wrote:
I've decided...just for me, that I will no longer respond to anything that anyone who insists on remaining anonymous writes , here or on any other DB.

If you can't step up and say hi fellas My name is _____
then you cannot be taken seriously.....I might respond to stuff in the lounge areas but thats it.....I'm tired of the anonymous BS.

John,
I sense that you are about to become a very lomely person.
No has any obligation to make their personal info avalable on these forums, in fact, like most of the internet, anonymity is encouraged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not really Mike.....

MakoMike wrote:

John,
I sense that you are about to become a very lomely person.
No has any obligation to make their personal info avalable on these forums, in fact, like most of the internet, anonymity is encouraged.

I appreciate the advice though.

Most of the folks who participate in these DB's are quite up front about who they are. Too often however, it has been my experience that those who are adamant about their identity remaining anonymous, in fact have something to hide, like an affiliation with a group or organization or a job within a govt. agency.

I really do feel that it's quite difficult to truly have a reasonable and candid conversation with someone when you don't actually know who you are talking to.

Thats me though, others may feel differently and thats fine too.

I don't think Guest has to tell anyone anything, but if he or any other person who wishes to have their views looked upon as legitimate, I think it's a lot harder when they are anonymous.

We all know who you are, we all know who I am, we all know who most of the people that participate are, but when someone has profound opinions that they want taken seriously, but they refuse to say who they are, what are you supposed to think.

As far as anonymity being the norm, 1 word....Myspace.
 
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top