NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is prompted by a few things. Johnny B is a good example of this in his thread requesting info on the fishability of an Ocean Kayak Frenzy. He walked into a kayak shop and asked for a kayak to fish from. there are many excellent models that fish well but the suggestion he received wasn't one of them. IF you shop at a kayak shop that doesn't have a serious kayak fisherman on staff you will get SOLD and most likely end up wasting your money. Kayak fishing is growing rapidly however its still a tiny, fringe sport. Yo can fish from almost anything but .............. some kayaks are just lousy choices. Why not get a good choice. There are many to select from.

Joey and I have had tons of requests for info on kayaks. We appreciate it and want to help, however there are a few problems with all the requests. Sometimes I type a long reply and it comes back undelivered. Very frustrating. We are spending a lot of time repeating ourselves. Also we haven't been provided with much information. We get requests like - " I want to buy a Fish in Dive because I hear its the best, please send prices. Also I don't want to spend much money." How can we address that. The person provides no info and wants one of the most expensive kayaks used for fishing. ITs a great kayak for big men and certain other criteria. Its a lousy kayak for other criteria. How you plan on using a kayak for fishing makes a big difference. ALso if you ask these questions on this forum all readers of the thread can benefit and you can also get feedback from others who can help you make a decision rather than only Joey or my opinions.

First you need to answer some important questions.
1) Your physical stature is very important. What are your height, weight, inseam measurement, relative condition? If you're 5'4" and 130#s buying a FnD doesn't make sense. There are so many better choices.
2) What vehicle are you going to use to transport the kayak? This is going to matter. If you have a pickup truck almost any weight of kayak will do. If you want a faster, touring style of kayak and you're going to put it on a Suburban 4wd roof you need a lighter model or you should seriously consider getting a kayak trailer. Wrecking your back isn't fun.
3) What kind of fisherman are you? What methods of fishing do you like to use? Conventional and spinning, fly, fishing, bait? If you're a bait guy, do you plan on using live bait, cutting it up on the water? Do you want to keep your catch?. If the answer is yes then you should get a tankwell model. Leaving fish on a stringer and then paddling will significantly slow you down and on the ocean is dangerous as it you could end up with a shark looking for a meal. That wouldn't be much fun. These are important questions you need to answer.

So ask away, but do it in a public forum so all can benefit. You're going to love kayak fishing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
All right! Excelent info. I am one asking those questions.

- 5'11'' and 195lbs
- good health but need exercise (one of the reasons for kayaking)
- beeing fishing on fresh waters and some bay, spinning, artificial lures, like to keep some fish
- own a Ford Taurus wagon with factory racks
- fish with a friend or my kids (9 yr old girl and 13 yr old boy)
- love the outdoors, camping, to explore, adventure
- intend to explore new waters, new fishing, new places
- kayak budgeting: around $1k +/-
- kayak rigged for fishing, with best seating option, rod holders, etc

Need to find out/experiment with both sit on top and sit inside: which is better?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks floete.

New member.

You can go with either a Sit in or an SOT for the fishing you wish to do. If I understand your question correctly you want to be able to take a 9 and 11 year old with you. Kayaks that handle multiple people are compromises. Most people who have this notion end up spending the majority of their time fishing alone. I would strongly suggest getting more than one kayak. Now let me be honest and say that I certainly don't know everything. I consider myself as someone further up the learning curve than most and behind some others. I have had a lot of experience helping people get into the sport and I've learned a lot by taking many beginners out for their first paddles. SO I can only share info on kayaks that I'm familar with. There certainly are others. Now back to your choices.

I would get 2 kayaks and this will be right around 1K. Look at Sit insides, as they're cheaper, and your criteria doesn't warrant an SOT. Wilderness Systems (WS) has several kayaks that will do the job. For you take a look at both the Pungo ($579)and the Rascal ($499). For the youths you can go with models like the Critter ($329) and the Bandit ($419). All of these kayaks come with seats so the only other cost to get fishing is a paddle. Paddles run from $50 on up and you really don't need to spend more than $100 dollars to get a very serviceable paddle. Accessories like rod holders, etc. will certainly help but they can be determined later. So check out the WS site at www.wildernesssystems.com Also you can see them at our site at www.kayakfishingstuff.com

If you need clarification or have additional questions, please dont hesitate to ask them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
New Member & Right Yak

Thanks.

I would be fishing with one partner at a time.

But I am convinced that a solo will work out much better.

What are your store address and hours. At this point, a visit will be more productive for both of us.

Regarding SOT or SI, would you please give the pros and cons of each type, regardeless of price.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please keep in mind that these are my opinion. Its not gospel.

Sit In:
Advantages - less expensive, includes a seat, simple layout.
Disadvantages - less versatile, can't just hop out on flats in a couple feet of water and get back in, potential for getting swamped and potentially very dangerous in the surf.

SOT:
Advantages - very versatile, easy to use, can handle all sorts of waters, great on flats, cooler in hot weather.
Disadvantages - generally cost more

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Store hours are M-F 9AM-8PM. Weekends usually 6AM-6PM. I'm rarely at the store though and there's more inventory usually at my place. My reccomendation would be to hit one of our upcoming demo days.

·
Registered
509 Posts
SOT Kayak

Guys thanks for all the info. Very informative. However since I have never been in or on a kayak. I have a question about the SOT.

Exactly what do you sit on? I know from rowing a boat you need to be just above water level to row properly.

Also is the seat or platform relatively comfortable. I'm 5'11 190 and in decent shape.

I looked at the Fish N Dive on the Cobra website. It looked good. The weight was listed at 54 pounds. Which seems light. I have a 150 lb.Jon-Boat upstate that I lug around from shore to the water.

Would I need any special gear to transport the F&D with my Pathfinder?

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
NEW MEMBER & RIGHT KAYAK

Thanks again Jon.

Hey, as you have mentioned before: if a lot of experienced guys are chosing some kayaks and not others...

I intend to meet you on the coming demo.

Call you tomorrow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am interested in a kayak for fishing generally in shallow bays,along beaches and coastline and ocassionally fresh water use (small lake). I am 5'10" and 150# and would be transporting it on a minivan factory installed roof rack (100# capacity). I would generally fish light spinning tackle and would keep only a few fish on occasion (no pinhooking here)!so I would'nt need a whole lot of storage space.I would prefer to be able to carry it without a major hassle. Although I would use it much of the time for fishing, I would also be using it for excercise as well, and I do plan on using it solo. I hope I have provided sufficient info so that a helpful reply will be simple. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide. TIGHTEST LINES TO ALL!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey buddy..whats up...have you been fishing the cove? You will be amazed at how a kayak will open up fishing in our area. I think a good kayak for you might be the explorer if you think youre going to do the surf and the pungo if you dont. They are both pretty easy to transport. I sent you a private message with my phone number so give me call.

joey

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pungo Light

Its a lighter version of the tried and true Pungo. Its 9#s lighter and everything said about the Pungo goes for it. It would be my choice if I bought a Pungo. It retails for $100 more.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bassnut

A Cobra Explorer or the Pungo Superlight would be an excellent choices for you. At 40#s each they're very easy to haul around. If you plan on fihsing the surf or lots of flats the Explorer is my choice.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Surfcaster

A SOT is surf board in a way. Its a big hollow craft. You sit on the top but the sides come up. A lot depends upon the brand and model. Ocean Kayaks, for example, have a very low seating position which is below the waterline. So you sit in water, hence part of their reputation for being wet. Cobra conversely has a high sitting position. This would make it tippier but Cobra's are wide so they compensate. When you see them it will become clear. Waht makes an SOT what they are is that they have drain holes that allow water to drain from the ****pit. A Sit In, conversely, is like a boat or canoe, in that the water hasn't anywhere to go. You must remove it.

As to weight, Cobras are lighter than most others, but remember wieght is relative. Also Cobra lists weights for bare kayaks, and you're going to get hatches, which add weight. Still they are the lightest for each category that I've come across.

I also use a Pathfinder and I load all sorts of yaks on it. I'm 5'10" and 190#s. (I was 205#s before the paddling season so I've dropped some fat, which is another great benefit to paddling.) I load multiple kayaks alot.
A kayak will do much more than your boat. Most guys sell the boats after living with the kayak a while.

The Fish in dive (FnD) is a good kayak. Soon we'll have the Necky Cruiser. I have it on good authority that its an awesome big guy kayak and its fast and available with a rudder. Also its only 53#s. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SOTs

SOTs are a style of kayak. Most manufacturers make them. They were created by Ocean Kayak. Other companies that have models that fish well and are regularly seen are Cobra, Wilderness Systems, Perception, Necky, Walden, to name some.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I LOVE MY COBRA FND SIT ON TOP. I WISH I COULD SLEEP IN BED WITH IT. LIKE IVE SAID BEFORE, U CAN'T FLIP IT. IVE TRIED IN REALLY SHALLOW WATER..DOESNT WORK. I WISH THIS **** WIND WOULD DIE DOWN SO I CAN TAKE IT OUT THIS WEEK

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.