NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any experience with butterfly jigs in long island sound for bass and blues on the local rips, wrecks, reefs ect...any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks bob

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not in those exact spots, but I see no problem why they wouldn't. Bas are bass and love to eat jigs. Personaly I don't use butterfly jigs as they eat hammered diamond jigs with vengence. Give it a shot. Many time I just drop to the marks and yo yo jig. They will work just fine to answer your question.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks capt, i have used butterfly jigs in the outer banks with incredible success .however i wonder how effective they are for our inshore species.... shimano has really been pushing them hard with the exception of the offshore guys, they dont seem to have taken hold here... is it the expense?? i guess only time will tell

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have heard that striped bass aim for the head of a bait. If this is true, would it make butterfly jigs better due to the positioning of the assist hook? You would get less bluefish (not always a good thing) since they love to slice the tails off fish, but get more hook ups to striper bites. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
you could just as easily put assist hooks on your diamond jigs and remove the trailing siwash. I think butterflies haven't taken off here because jigging is nothing new here. People have been jigging for bass, blues, seabass, tuna, cod, etc for many many years before butterfly jigs came along. Most times when you do see someone using butterflies instead of traditional diamond, hammered diamond, vike, norwegian, etc jigs the butterfly jigs they're not doing better than the people using the traditional (and much less expensive) jigs. That's not to say that there aren't times when butterflys will catch better than other jigs - like all lure fishing, on certain days one lure will do much better than another - but overall, diamond jigs haven't proved to be more effective than other jigs and they cost considerably more. I do like the look of the flat-side butterfly jig and will probably add a couple to my tuna jig bag.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
You don't. An assist hook gets looped onto a solid ring, which is connected to your jig of choice with a split ring. You tie your leader/topshot/whatever directly to the solid ring.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've tried both side by side and I've actually found the diamonds to out produce the butterfly jigs...so why spend more is now my attitude. I liked the hammered gold and silverand also straight silver. I keep the siwash hook on and then put on one assist hook which has increased my hook up ratio. I like the Williamson brand assist hooks best since tehy have the rubber tubing over the line....I think that it attracts fish and most importantly it protects the line/rope a bit from blues...but they also come in wire which I use when the blues are real thick. The plain shimano hooks rope is broken after a few blues.

·
Registered
429 Posts
jigging bass and blues

I have some experience with butterfly jigs --- I have found them to be very effective for tuna and believe (for tuna) that if all things are equal they outproduce all other iron. The two most important advantages being: 1)the ability to fish more of the water column more quickly with better action on the jig and 2) the ability to jig longer periods of time with the dedicated butterfly jigging outfit.
Point of information --- just because you have a butterfly jig doesn't mean that you are butterfly jigging.

Blues and Bass --- Butterfly jigs work but they DEFINITELY would not be my first choice, actually I rarely to never use them. I like using butterfly jigs when you need to work thru a lot of water/not yo-yoing or bouncing.
For bass, yo-yoing or bouncing a diamond jig, bucktail, or fishtail --- for me those jigs work better. Skimmers behind the skimmer boat works best. And this also goes for blues --- I don't see an advantage in using an expensive butterfly with kevlar assist line when you can use a less expensive, more durable, more productive diamond jig.

This post edited by BobWheeler 04:36 PM 02/08/2008

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Some fish like short jigs and some fish like long jigs. I found even same kind of fish change their preference depending on their situations. The characteristics of Japanese style jigging is to give erratic action while cranking fast. It works in most cases except bottom fishing where you got ot stay near the bottom to get more bites. When you bassing, you need to slow down you jigging speed as bass don't chase fast moving jigs as much as blue does.
Here is a Japanese style jigging video of amberjack. It is so much fun to jig with short and light rods.

amberjack jigging

This post edited by KILSONG 09:09 AM 02/12/2008

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
rarel wrote:
great vid. kil.. shows good jigging technique as well...thanks again
It doesn't take long to get used to Japanese style jigging.
Guys on the video are pretty new to Japanese style jigging and they love it now.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Dont know what japanese style jigging is. My problem is that I know nothing about the japanese history of fishing, therefore its hard to make a informed statement. My fist recollection of jigs was those made by AVA and then all of the copy cats. Dont know if this is true, but what I think is true. Dont have any information whatsoever as to Janpanese fishing manufacturers, all I knew when I started was penn for saltwater and pfluger for fresh. A couple of years later for me, I bought the Daiwa's and all the penn were sold away. Fishing must have been going strong in Japan and the equipment not available in the USA. A pal vacationed in Japan and when shopping for fishing equipment and found the protype black newells going for next to nothing, it was his understanding that there was no interest in these newells. I got a black newell 332 for half of the USA cost. and I assume the reels in japan were superior. What jigs and such they had, no knowledge. The short sticks they were using in the video first came to my attention withe the sabre blanks. I wouldnt use butterfly jigs for bluefish, much too expensive.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Willie,
The way of thinking of Asian people is somewhat different from in America. While Americans want products reliable and practical, Asian want the best available regardless their standard of living.
Many fishermen in Korea I know buy expensive Stella or Saltiga spinning reels, but they seldom go fishing as they can not afford.:rolleyes:
When they saw my Grounden rain gear in Korea, they said nobody would wear those cheap and bulky rain gears in Korea. :)

This post edited by KILSONG 04:08 PM 02/12/2008

·
Registered
509 Posts
cheap bulky rain gear

Kil,

That story about Grundens always gives me a good laugh!
My question is, what rain gear do they use in Korea? If it is as nice as the rest of their equipment, it might be time to go shopping!

David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.