NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Capt Niel,
thanks for your response to my post on the other board regarding the bunker spoon rod. You recommended the spiral wrap. I haven't used it yet but I am planning to try it on an eel rod. I hadn't really considered it for the wire line although it's benefits are probably more obvious on the heavier gear. I still have a couple of questions on the rod regarding guide placement w/ the spiral wrap, recommended length, and if the blank rated for 30lbs will hold up to the 50lb wire. any advice is appreciated. I also have an unrelated question that I can't seem to get an answer to.Maybe someone from the Mid Atlantic area knows. What is the "Mojo" lure being trolled for stripers(rockfish) in that area?

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
irishcurse

Hi,

I don't think I would fish 50# wire on a rod rated for 30#. Not that some one hasn't tried it.
Even with the flex of a fiberglass rod that is a lot of pressure, trolling and a big bass.

I know a young fisherman who trolls using 50# standup rods. I have showed him the difference in blank construction. One a buggy whip and the other a steel beam (exagerated of course). His answer,"I troll with the drag set lite". My answer, "When it breaks don't blame the blank manufacturer".

If you live near Sayville,LI give me a call and come on over. (631) 567-8049. It will be easier to show you how I design the guide location from top to bottom.

Am trying to find info on "MOJO" lure. Help me out here gals and guys.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I have had several people tell me that 50lb wire would be o.k. on that blank but I tend to agree w/ you. Mono maybe, but wire or even braid seem a little unforgiving. what blank would be flexible enough to let the spoon work and strong enough for the wire. What length rods are being used in your area? do they tend to be longer? I haven't seen anyone up(Cape Cod) here use anything special.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
irishcurse,

I have to back up here a little. Was on the phone with my friend Al (rod prof) Goldberg. He would still go with the BT 108 3M. He says the walls are thicker than a surf blank that could be used.

He says 50# wire would work as the drag would be set for 12#'s or so.

I think I am alittle shell shocked due to a customer blowing out rods due to locked uo drags.

Looks like the BT 108 3M is the way to go. I trimmed the tip to fit a #14 tip top (UST 12 - 14). A 12" Slick butt, Aftco AR2S reel seat, Fuji HNSG 20, 16, 16, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, and a G2B gimbal.

This blank is the classic bunker spoon choice.

Go for it and let me know how you make out.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.