NorEast Fishing Forum banner

building offshore lures

6K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Mahi Mahi 
#1 ·
Started making my own resin head lures this winter. A little time consuming, but the results are rewarding. Anyone else out there doing the same?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I used a two part casting resin that you can pick up at any hobby shop. Made the molds out of latex using plastic shot glasses as the form. Added a lead insert with eyes and brass tubing to run from the front of the head to the back. Once the resin hardened, removed them from the molds, spun them on a lathe to get a smooth surface, sanded them with an utlra fine finishing paper and used a plastic spray gloss finisher. Added a skirt and voila........invested a lot of time, but had fun, learned a bunch, and now have lures that from a material cost aspect saved me money.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
believe it or not, I'm using plastic shot glasses/plastic cups for the molds. I tried making my own latex molds for awhile, but they took too much time and I couldn't be certain that the cores were centered. The plastic cups make it easy. I can pour multiple casts at one time. When the casts are set up, I just clamp the whole thing in my lathe and turn the plastic cup off. Some of the heads that I created were actually mistakes. The alien-style lure and the cone-shaped head were the results of digging in too far with my turning tools (part of them chipped away so I kept whittling away until I had something usable).

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Raven:

I checked out yours as well. Very nice. Where do you get your skirts from? I've been using mostly Moldcraft Tuff-Tails (they're a little more rigid and durable), but ordered some Sevenstrands that I intend to use on the next set.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
I've ordered from most of those places in the past. There was a web-site for a company in Mexico called Allure that had some great color combos (some of them I've seen used on JAS lures). i tried ordering from them but couldn't get through

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.